Chancellor Syverud announces 2020-21 Council on Diversity and Inclusion

The council was one of the first recommendations from the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion that SU implemented.

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud on Tuesday announced the 2020-21 members of the Council on Diversity and Inclusion, a group that provides feedback about the campus climate. 

The council co-chairs will be Paula Possenti-Perez, the director for the Center for Disability Resources, and Craig Tucker, the director of the Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program, according to an SU News release. Keith Alford, chief diversity and inclusion officer, will be a member of the committee.

This year’s council will also feature four students and faculty and staff from a variety of teaching backgrounds and university offices, including SU’s accessibility offices, LGBT Resource Center and Hendricks Chapel. 

The Council on Diversity and Inclusion was one of the first recommendations from the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion that SU implemented. The working group, which was tasked with developing solutions for creating a more diverse and inclusive campus culture at SU, was announced in fall 2015 and issued its first recommendations in March 2016. 

“The members of the Council on Diversity and Inclusion provide insight, perspective and experience as we work to further build a more welcoming campus,” Syverud said. 

Here are the student members of the committee:

• Sean Dorcellus, a senior broadcast and digital journalism major
  • Brandon Hollie, a graduate student studying marriage and family therapy
  • Osatohanmwen Onaghinor, a senior biology major
  • Sweta Roy, a graduate student studying bioengineering and vice president of the Graduate Student Organization
  • Taylor Stover, a sophomore international relations major

Here are the faculty members of the committee:

• Shiu-Kai Chin, a professor of electrical engineering and computer science
  • Francine D’Amico, a professor of international relations and director of undergraduate studies in international relations in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
  • Emily Duke, a professor in the Department of Transmedia

Here are the staff and administrators on the committee:

• LaVonda Reed, associate provost for faculty affairs
  • Brian Konkol, dean of Hendricks Chapel
  • James Duah-Agyeman, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs
  • Jorge Castillo, director of the LGBT Resource Center
  • Juan Tavares, director of the Center for International Services
  • William Myhill, interim director and ADA coordinator, Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services
  • Sheila Johnson-Willis, associate vice president and chief equal opportunity and Title IX officer
  • Cydney Johnson, vice president for community engagement and government relations
  • Tammy Bluewolf-Kennedy, admissions counselor, Native American liaison, Office of Admissions
  • Sharon Cole, talent acquisition manage in the Office of Human Resources
  • Kathleen Haley, interim director of internal communications in the Division of Marketing and Communications
  • Christabel Osei-Bobie Sheldon, director, McNair Scholars Program
  • Tere Paniagua, executive director of cultural engagement for the Hispanic community
  • Rob Pusch, senior associate director at Project Advance
  • LeKita Scott Dawkins, director of foundation relations for SU
  • Marsha Senior, director of the Higher Education Opportunity Program and assistant director of student administrative services in University College
  • Erika Wilkens, assistant provost and executive director at Syracuse Abroad