Volleyball

Lauren Hogan, Marina Markova receive weekly ACC honors after BC series

Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

Lauren Hogan recorded 37 digs for Syracuse in two games against Boston College last weekend.

The Atlantic Coast Conference on Tuesday named outside hitter Marina Markova as ACC Player of the Week and libero Lauren Hogan as ACC Rookie of the Week for their play last weekend in two straight-set wins against Boston College.

Markova led both SU and the Eagles in kills last weekend, with 26 between the two matches. Her 14 kills on Saturday were a career-high at middle blocker, and she leads the team with eight aces after adding two against BC. Markova also added seven blocks over the six sets.

Hogan recorded 37 digs for Syracuse the past two games, and her 22 digs on Friday were the most in a three-set match of her collegiate career. The freshman has started all eight games this season and has averaged 5.15 digs per set, ranking sixth in the country. Her 139 digs this season lead the ACC going into the last week of the season. Thirteen ACC teams still have games to play, but Syracuse finished its season last weekend.

A Syracuse player has won ACC weekly honors for two consecutive weeks. Polina Shemanova was named co-ACC Player of the Week the first week of the season after leading Syracuse in kills over a weekend upset sweep of Pitt. Her 90 kills lead the Orange, with Markova’s 67 in second.