Beyond the Hill

JABS BY GINA aims to bring fun back into fitness

Courtesy of Sophie Greenhouse

Besides Sophie Greenhouse being a SU junior, she's also the Syracuse JABS BY GINA campus ambassador.

Syracuse University graduate Gina DiNapoli is inspiring others to kickstart their fitness journeys with her workout program, JABS BY GINA.

Launched in 2018, JABS is a series of kickboxing-inspired workout classes aimed at making fitness enjoyable. Originally a one-style workout class, JABS has grown into a full-body workout program with over 10 different class formats ranging from kickboxing cardio to arms toning.

Each day there are four to eight classes that vary in schedule week to week. The program currently has around 5,000 active members across the U.S., most of them college students, DiNapoli said. JABS also has a college ambassador program with the goal of expanding to more students. DiNapoli took all the lessons she has learned about fitness over the years to create a “safe, effective and fun” program, she said.

“Usually workout programs don’t usually work for me. I’ve never been into exercise at all, but after a friend kept convincing me to try it, I signed up for my first class on May 16,” said SU senior Izzy Tabs. “I’ve been hooked ever since.”

DiNapoli grew up as a competitive figure skater. She spent most of her middle school and high school career dedicated to the sport. But once she arrived at SU, she stopped skating and turned to coaching to have the true college experience.

As a result, DiNapoli noticed negative physical and mental changes that only escalated when she graduated from SU and moved to New York City for her first job as a real estate broker.

DiNapoli lost all of her athletic ability and everything that she had gained in her 10-plus years of skating, including her sense of purpose and identity. She found herself rarely going to the gym, eating unhealthy food and feeling unhappy overall. She felt stuck but didn’t think there was anything she could do to fix it.

DiNapoli began attending group workout classes and said that she became inspired by the coaches and the people around her. Unlike other fitness programs she had previously tried online, these classes were both challenging and fun, she said.

Eventually, DiNapoli found kickboxing at Equinox and fell in love. She would go to the studio and practice her teaching skills, hoping one day to become an instructor herself. DiNapoli was eventually hired by Equinox, where she began the JABS BY GINA program.

She began working at Equinox in 2017 and left in April to pursue JABS BY GINA full time.

Although formerly run at Equinix, the JABS program itself has never had a studio of its own. DiNapoli said that she hopes to one day open a studio.

DiNapoli said that one of the reasons JABS focuses so much on college students is because her biggest regret in life is not getting fit sooner. She aims to provide college students with an affordable way to stay fit and avoid the difficult period she faced.

With live classes and passionate instructors, members are able to connect with other people nation-wide and workout together.

“It’s one of those things where you take a few classes and you get the adrenaline rush and then you just start feeling better and looking better and overall your mentality totally shifts,” said Sophie Greenhouse, an SU junior and the Syracuse JABS BY GINA campus ambassador.

Greenhouse said that one of the things she loves most about the JABS community is that the schedule is ever-changing, keeping the program exciting and new.

As a campus ambassador, she has also created strong relationships with the instructors and individuals that she’s worked out with but never actually met in person.

“Over the years I’ve tried every workout program and nothing stuck,” Greenhouse said. “However, with JABS, there is no competition or leaderboard. It’s all about competing against yourself to become better and stronger.”