University Union, Oxfam to screen documentary for International Women’s Day

Talia Trackim | Presentation Director

University Union and Oxfam at Syracuse University are presenting a screening of “Knock Down the House,” a Netflix documentary following the 2018 congressional campaigns of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Amy Vilela, Cori Bush and Paula Jean Swearengin.   

The screening is set for International Women’s Day on Sunday, March 8 in HBC Gifford at 7 p.m. Admission is free for all SU and SUNY-ESF students, faculty, staff and the general public.  

After premiering at the Sundance Film Festival in 2019, “Knock Down the House” went on to win the U.S. Documentary Audience Award and the Festival Favorite Award.   

Oxfam America is an international organization that aims to fight inequality and beat poverty around the world. Founded in 2015, the SU chapter of Oxfam works to raise awareness of global issues, locally engage citizens and create change in the Syracuse community, according to the press release. The Oxfam at SU chapter works in alignment with Oxfam America.  

“We are so excited to be partnering with Oxfam at SU to screen this documentary for International Women’s Day,” Emma Cogan, UU’s cinemas director, wrote in a press release. “International Women’s Day is about celebrating women and their achievements, and we are delighted to create a space to do that with Oxfam at SU.”