Syracuse ranked No. 1 for 1st time since 2017

Will Fudge | Staff Photographer

With Pat March's revamped offense, SU's midfielders have flourished.

When a victory over Hobart on Friday coupled with then-No. 1 Yale’s loss to UMass the day after, Syracuse (4-0) rose to the top spot in Inside Lacrosse’s Maverik Media Poll released Monday morning. It’s the first time since Week 11 of the 2017 season the Orange are at the top of the poll.

Against the Statesmen, Brendan Curry and Tucker Dordevic had five goals each, which prompted Hobart head coach Greg Raymond to call SU’s top midfield line the best in the country. Through four games, Dordevic, Curry and Jamie Trimboli have combined for 32 goals. Chase Scanlan chipped in four goals and is tied with Trimboli for the most on SU with 13.

Syracuse jumped over last week’s No. 2 Penn State in the poll despite the Nittany Lions overtime victory against Penn over the weekend. In the Week 2 rankings, PSU secured the top spot but lost to Yale just days later. As one of six remaining undefeated Division-I teams, SU grabbed the top spot.

The Orange next play on Saturday, when they travel to Johns Hopkins (1-3) for their first road game of the season. Last Friday’s game against the Statesmen was their last game in the Carrier Dome for the 2020 season, as the final two SU home games will be hosted by Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

Sign up for The Daily Orange Newsletter

*
* indicates required