Winter Carnival provides free food, activities for students

Lucy Messineo Witt | Staff Photographer

Jonathan Hoster, an adviser for the Traditions Commission, hands out hot chocolate on the Quad. The Winter Carnival has been a Syracuse staple for almost 100 years, providing different activities for students to destress before midterm exams.

Since the 1930s, the Syracuse University Winter Carnival has given students a way to relieve stress. This year’s events include a giveaway of free food and activities, such as snowshoeing and glow-in-the-dark skating.  

Yesterday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., free food and Winter Carnival merchandise, including sunglasses and cups, were given out in the Milton Atrium of the Life Sciences Complex. Carnival attendees could also win prizes at a bingo contest. 

Art activities included spin-art, to paint small paper canvas on a spinning art board, and free caricatures.  

J.P. Crangle, a professional artist, said he’s been making caricatures for 41 years. The Syracuse local has been involved with the Winter Carnival for over three years now.  

a2_2_26_wintercarnival_lucymessineowitt_sp_11

J.P. Crangle, a professional artist sketches a caricature during the Winter Carnival. He has been making them for 41 years now. Lucy Messineo Witt | Staff Photographer

“It’s a way for people to get exposed to art,” Crangle said. “They get to see it being done — you rarely see people doing it in public. It’s magical. It’s alchemy. I turn paper into the likeness of people.”  

Other Winter Carnival events will continue throughout the week. One of the most popular Winter Carnival annual activities is the chili cook-off at the HBC patio at 11 a.m. today. This year, 15 contestants — as opposed to the usual 10— will compete to see who can cook the superior chili.  

Jonathan Hoster is an adviser for the Traditions Commission, a group of students who plan events for the university, as well as an undergraduate recruitment specialist in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. He said that the week is meant to “get people moving about campus and spending time with each other.” 

Hoster has been an adviser for at least three years now. He received his undergraduate degree in 2002 from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and master’s degree from the School of Education in 2011.

a2_2_26_wintercarnival_lucymessineowitt_sp_08

Art activities included spin-art, to paint small paper canvas on a spinning art board, and free caricatures. Lucy Messineo Witt | Staff Photographer

“I’m a proud SU alum myself, and so upholding Syracuse traditions is really fun for me,”

Hoster said. “So, I’ve been really excited to be involved with the group and support all the exciting initiatives.”  

The Traditions Commission is composed of about 20 student volunteers. Junior Cassie Grossman and sophomore Catherine Bannon, both committee members, helped to organize the Winter Carnival.  

“I was really involved with school spirit stuff at my high school, and when I heard about this, I thought this was a really cool opportunity,” Grossman said about her involvement with the Traditions Commission.  

Bannon organized a few of the events this year, such as Cozy Capella and the trivia night. Cozy Cappella is a free show put on by the A Cappella Council at 8 p.m. today in Goldstein Auditorium. Performers usually dress up in pajamas, and free cookies and hot chocolate will be provided.  

Thursday’s activities also include a moonlight snowshoe hike at 6 p.m. at Drumlins. Buses will take students from College Place at 6 p.m. and return at 9:30 p.m., and the event is limited to 30 students.  

Other activities include snowshoe and cross-country ski demos, paint night and a glow-in-the-dark skate night. More information about prices, locations and times for each event can be found through the Office of Student Activities website.