The Basketball Tournament

The Basketball Tournament to return to Syracuse this summer

Boeheim's Army will once again compete for the $2 million grand prize.

Boeheim’s Army will host regionals for The Basketball Tournament’s single-elimination 2020 competition, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon announced on Saturday night. This is the second-consecutive year Syracuse will host three days of TBT games, which will take place at Onondaga Community College.

“TBT is something I look forward to every year and support 100 percent. It will be great to see all of our loyal fans coming (out) to support our guys, ” Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim said in an SU press release.

Boeheim’s Army will be competing in the tournament for the sixth-consecutive year. Comprised mostly of Syracuse basketball alumnus, BA has never won the tournament and its $2 million prize. In 2019, the team played three games — all at Onondaga Community College — and fell to Brotherly Love, a Philadelphia-based basketball team, 84-72, in the regional finals.

For the past two seasons, Boeheim’s Army has been a No. 1 seed in the tournament. In 2018, they were one game away from making TBT’s final four in Baltimore, Maryland. The team’s roster fluctuates year-to-year, but former SU guard Eric Devendorf and head coach Ryan Blackwell have been mainstays on Boeheim’s Army, among others. Coming into 2020, it has the sixth-highest winning percentage in the tournament’s history at .737.

TBT is set to begin on July 23 and the Syracuse regional will take place between July 31 and Aug. 2. Syracuse is one of eight regional sites — the remaining locations set to be released on Feb. 18. Regional games are expected to be televised on ESPN3.