Softball

Syracuse splits doubleheader at Houston Challenge

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Shortstop Neli Casares-Maher hit for the cycle across both games.

Syracuse (4-7) split its Saturday doubleheader at the Houston Challenge, beating Louisiana Tech (2-10) behind Alexa Romero’s first save of the year, before losing to Princeton (4-7) in a close game. Both games were plagued by errors and featured a combined 11 unearned runs.

Shortstop Neli Casares-Maher hit for the cycle across both games, adding a walk, a steal, and three RBIs. Kaia Oliver picked up a win in the eight to six victory over the Bulldogs before she was handed a loss in relief against the Tigers.

At the top of the second against Louisiana Tech, three Bulldogs errors led to three Orange runs to open the scoring for the day. Another throwing error scored two more runs in the fifth inning, and a Mia Cunnings double followed by a Toni Martin single extended the lead to eight. The Bulldogs responded with two runs in the bottom half of the fifth, and head coach Shannon Doepking was ejected after the second run scored. In the next inning, a groundout followed by a passed ball cut the lead to four for Louisiana Tech. Romero relieved Oliver when the lead shortened to three in the seventh frame. The Bulldogs scored again on two consecutive passed balls, but SU held on to secure the win. Alexis Kaiser allowed four passed balls in the victory.

Casares-Maher homered with two out in the top of the first against Princeton. However, a throwing error by SU at the bottom of the inning brought the score level. The teams each added two more runs in the fourth and fifth innings and Madison Hamilton doubled to put Princeton on top in the sixth. The Orange didn’t score for the remainder of the game.

Syracuse will conclude the Houston challenge against No. 20 Texas Tech Sunday morning.