Softball

Syracuse splits doubleheader at Felsberg Invitational to open season

Josh Schafer | Senior Staff Writer

Syracuse's first two games of the Felsberg Invitational were canceled on Friday, and the Orange won their season opener for the first time since 2017.

Syracuse (1-1) split its Saturday doubleheader at the Felsberg Invitational, beating Penn State (3-1) in the season opener before losing to host Florida International (2-1). SU knocked off the Nittany Lions 5-4 before falling to FIU 2-1, and both games came after the Orange were scheduled to play on Friday until a travel complication pushed their 2020 debut to Saturday morning. 

SU’s veterans started their season off strong as junior Gabby Teran went 3-for-7 on the day with a home run and three RBIs, while senior Alexa Romero pitched a complete game in her first start of the year.

Syracuse went down early against PSU when the bottom of the Nittany Lions order strung together a few hits. At the top of the second, PSU’s Dani Fey tripled with runners on second and third and was sent home on a subsequent single. The Nittany Lions doubled and then scored on a throwing error by shortstop Neli Casares-Maher in the very next inning, extending their lead to four runs.

Teran homered for SU’s first hit of the season in the bottom of the third and would tack on an RBI triple in the fifth frame to cut the lead to two. Syracuse loaded the bases with one out in the sixth inning and PSU walked in two runs to tie up the contest heading into the seventh.

Both SU and Penn State failed to win the game in regulation. In extras, Romero would prove to be the hero for Syracuse. After the runner placed at second advanced to third on a passed ball by catcher Jude Padilla, Romero struck out two to retire the side and get out of the jam. At the bottom of the inning, Toni Martin stole third and reached home on an error to walk it off for the Orange.

In the second game against FIU, freshman Kaia Oliver made her Syracuse debut and took her first loss despite an impressive outing. After a pitching duel for three innings, the Panthers broke the game open on the basepaths in the fourth. FIU’s Alexis Ross hit an infield single to lead off the inning and advanced all the way to third after a steal and a wild pitch. The Panthers singled to take the lead but the scoring didn’t end there. An FIU single would put runners at the corners and another steal by the Panthers brought runners to second and third. A potential double play became a fielder’s choice on the next at-bat and SU found themselves down two runs to none.

Syracuse got its last real chance in the sixth inning when freshman Rebecca Clyde hit a leadoff triple and scored on a 16-pitch single by Teran — who stole second on the next at-bat but couldn’t advance further. A Jamie Gregg strikeout followed by an Alex Acevedo pop up halted SU’s momentum and three straight flyouts in the seventh inning ended the Orange’s comeback attempt.

Syracuse will resume action tomorrow in its final game of the Felsberg Invitational against Michigan State.