Softball

Syracuse splits doubleheader at Big Ten/ACC Challenge

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Alexis Kaiser, pictured last season, went 1-for-4 with a walk in games against Rutgers and Indiana.

Syracuse (3-3) split its Saturday doubleheader at the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, topping Indiana (2-6) in extra innings before being routed by Rutgers (5-3) for the Orange’s second loss to the Scarlet Knights in as many days. 

Against the Hoosiers, Alexa Romero (3-0) paced the Orange by allowing only one earned run in the victory. Romero allowed nine base runners but limited the damage by striking out seven along the way — a new season-high for the senior. In the encore, SU gave up seven runs in the second inning and never recovered in a 10-5 loss to the Scarlet Knights. Miranda Hearn (0-1) was shelled for five runs in 1.2 innings in her season debut.

Toni Martin hit an RBI double, which opened the scoring against the Hoosiers in the fifth. Jessica Skladal, a pinch runner on the play, scored from first and head coach Shannon Doepking’s decision paid off. At the bottom of the inning, Romero loaded the bases after a hit and two walks. Indiana tied the game on a sacrifice fly but could not add another.

Both teams were deadlocked through seven, but in the top of the eighth, Paris Woods tripled to score Rebecca Clyde, and a fielder’s choice by Jamie Gregg added on a third run. The Hoosiers responded with a run of their own in the bottom half of the frame, but Romero retired the side to secure the victory.

After Hearn was hit hard against Rutgers, Doepking turned to Catie Dobbs but she allowed a double and a two-run home run with two outs to make it 7-0. Syracuse immediately responded with four runs in the next inning but squandered the opportunity to add more. Four successive hits — including a home run by Alexis Kaiser — cut the lead to three. With no outs recorded and a runner in scoring position, the Orange struck out twice and popped up to end the inning. Rutgers tacked on three more in the sixth inning and put the game out of reach.

Syracuse will resume action tomorrow in its final game of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge against Indiana.