Students given a voice at TEDx ‘A Seat at the Table’ event

Courtesy of Sabreen Noel Ben Salem

The TEDx "A Seat at the Table" event featured 11 speakers, all SU students. This was the first TEDx Syracuse University event with a lineup of all student speakers.

Syracuse University has hosted TEDx events since 2014, featuring professionals and scholars who have spoken about topics such as augmented reality and entrepreneurship. However, this year, the speakers at their annual event were all students from the 11 schools and colleges at SU.

Students spoke about their passions, research and personal experiences at a TEDx event titled “A Seat at the Table” on Monday afternoon.

Sabreen Noel Ben Salem said she became creative director of TEDx Syracuse University because she wanted to change the direction of the event by making student speakers the focus.

“I didn’t want to be taking speakers from outside of the campus who have nothing to do with what life is like here,” Ben Salem said.

Aviana Goode, an SU student and the event coordinator, got a call from Ben Salem her first day back at school for the fall semester and from there, the student organizers worked on planning the event, she said.

“What we wanted to focus on is inviting students, especially student speakers,” Goode said. “So they were our main focus — having their voices heard on campus.”

The TEDx event was originally scheduled for Friday, Feb. 7, but had to be postponed due to the weather. The event came together despite this obstacle, Goode said.

“We just worked really hard, and I’m glad people are finally here and seeing all the hard work that the speakers have put in and people behind the scenes,” Goode said.

Photograph of Chandler Jacobs presenting on stage

Chandler Jacobs, a student in the College of Law, spoke about sex education in high schools and the stigma surrounding sexual assault during her presentation at the TEDx event. Courtesy of Sabreen Noel Ben Salem

Lizhen Liang, a graduate student in the College of Information Studies, spoke about the bias in artificial intelligence during his presentation. Humans lend their personal biases to the data they generate, he said.

“We human beings could work with AI that is more fair, more accountable and more transparent, so AI could become a true solution rather than a problem,” Liang said.

Liang said the overall purpose of the TEDx event was to give students a platform to communicate their ideas.

Tiffany Hamm, a second year doctoral student studying science education, said she knew from the start of the event’s audition process that she wanted to talk about her passion for teaching science. Hamm teaches science to students in the Bronx, and she spoke about the importance of creating equal opportunities in science education for students in urban communities.

Hamm said she reflected on both her experiences teaching students and her own interest in science as a child when preparing her presentation.

“As I dug deeper and deeper, I realized it started with me and my journey from going to school, wanting to do marine sciences and just meeting a whole bunch of roadblocks ‘til I got where I am,” Hamm said.

The other student speakers were Liz Gostev, Brianna Yates, Calvin Atieku, Chandler Jacobs, Charlie Naples, Hanneke van Deursen, Yuliia Popyk, Rachel Brennan and Oluwafolabomi Olujimi.

The event included the perspectives of students from a variety of backgrounds, capabilities and skill sets, said Liam Lynch, the director of communications for the event.

“They can come together, share their ideas and really show a sense of unity on this campus,” Lynch said. “Even though we’re all different, we are all here doing amazing things.”