Newhouse dean search yields no viable candidates

It will likely take two-to-three months for the search committee to develop another applicant pool.

The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications has not found a viable candidate for its next dean, a university official announced Thursday.

The school’s dean search committee will continue to search for the right person to fill the position, Vice Chancellor and Provost John Liu said at a forum with faculty, students, and staff. 

“The challenges we are facing are not unique to Syracuse University,” Liu said. “Finding candidates at the executive level is extremely challenging.” 

The search for the Newhouse School’s next dean began after former dean Lorraine Branham died in April. Branham served as dean for nearly 11 years. After her death, SU formed a search committee of Newhouse faculty, students, and alumni to find her long-term successor.

The timetable for the search moving forward is not set in stone, Liu said. The process is subject to change depending on how long it takes the search committee to pinpoint a suitable candidate, he said.

It will likely take two-to-three months for the search committee to develop another applicant pool, Liu said. The university has previously said it hopes to have a new dean in place by July 2020. 

Liu addressed faculty concerns over transparency in the new dean search process. SU is doing everything it can to ensure transparency, and faculty, staff and students should respect the privacy of any new dean candidates, he said.

“You are public communications professionals,” Liu said. “Your profession demands that transparency. Your profession demands that you record things you want to report. I am here to tell you that is one case that might not be optimum to get the job done.”

Liu later opened the forum to questions from students and faculty. 

One faculty member suggested Amy Falkner, interim Newhouse dean, be considered for the permanent dean position. The suggestion received applause from other faculty members in attendance. 

Falkner would be allowed to apply for the position as long as there is no school policy forbidding it, Liu replied.

Several high-ranking positions within Newhouse had been intentionally left open for the new dean to help fill, another faculty member said. He asked if the vacancies will remain open because the search committee has not selected a dean. Liu said he did not have any answers. 

Liu asked faculty members if they wanted to change the search firm in charge of the dean search. The faculty members responded with a resounding yes. 

He also asked that faculty, staff and students work together to find an ideal candidate for the position.

“We will make every effort to get the right person for this job,” Liu said. “We are doing everything we can to be transparent.”