Women's Lacrosse

Morgan Alexander ruled out for remainder of 2020 season with leg injury

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Morgan Alexander is seventh on the team in points so far in 2020.

Syracuse redshirt senior Morgan Alexander has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2020 season, the team announced on Feb. 20. She suffered a left leg injury in practice on Wednesday, the day before. 

This is the fourth time Alexander has missed time due to injury. She sustained four knee injuries that kept her out of each of her first three seasons at SU. In 18 games last season, Alexander recorded 20 goals and two assists. 

“It’s super tough,” head coach Gary Gait said. “A young girl like that who’s worked so hard to get back and recover from past injuries to get the chance to play.”

This season, Alexander started three of SU’s first four games. The only time she came off the bench was simply to allow Morgan Widner to take the opening draw rather than Emily Hawryschuk. 

The senior is currently seventh on the team with seven points on four goals and three assists. Her final tally came on a beautiful behind-the-back shot in SU’s 20-2 win over Binghamton on Feb. 16.

It’s unclear as to whether Alexander will be eligible for a sixth year of eligibility, but Gait suggested “she fits that category if she wants to.” 

The No. 7 Orange (3-1) head to Evanston, Illinois to face No. 6 Northwestern this Saturday at 8 p.m.