Frisky February promotes sexual health and safety on campus

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

The Office of Health Promotion is holding events and activities centered around sexual health and safety for Frisky February, Syracuse University’s Sexual Health Awareness Month. Campus organizations and local sponsors are contributing to various events throughout the month.   

Jillian Siegal, a sophomore majoring in advertising, said that she’d probably use campus sexual health resources because they’re cheaper and more accessible than seeing a regular doctor. She feels, however, that the school could do more to promote these resources.  

“I’d say that they do a pretty good job of offering these resources, but I don’t think that, necessarily, it’s a very open conversation on campus,” Siegal said. “I feel like to access these resources, you actually have to look for them.” 

Frisky February is meant to change that. Mackenzie Mertikas, president of the Student Association, confirmed that activities throughout the month are meant to promote awareness not only about sexual health, but also available campus resources regarding the topic. 

“There’s just a lot of different resources on campus and off campus that students don’t know about,” she said. “We should be using those resources to make sure we’re having safe sex.” 

To kick off the month, the SA and OHP held the third annual sexual health resources fair. Local organizations such as Planned Parenthood, the Onondaga County Health Department and the National Black Leadership Commission on AIDS were present.  

Students were able to speak with vendors and receive free condoms and lubricant. Mertikas estimated that around 250 students were in attendance.  

Other events, which are planned through OHP, include free sexually transmitted infection screenings from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Feb. 13 and 14. These STI screenings are open to all students on a first-come, first-served basis on the second floor of the Barnes Center at The Arch. 

Several presentations and events are scheduled for the month as well. Katie Tastrom, who is an attorney, writer and activist, focuses on disability and making activism more accessible for people with disabilities, according to her website. On Friday, Feb. 14 at Bird Library, her presentation titled “Disabled People Are Better at Sex” will discuss a strength-based approach on talking about disability and sexuality.   

Heather Mae, an award-winning songwriter, is coming to the Skybarn on Feb. 17 through the Students United for Body Acceptance and the Barnes Center Peer Educators. Mae creates music surrounding topics such as LGBTQ issues, self-love, mental health and more.   

Mae’s work is centered around her own experiences as a queer, plus-size woman living with bipolar disorder. Her performance on campus comes during her GLIMMER tour across the U.S. 

REACH CNY, local organization that aims to reduce adolescent and unplanned pregnancy as well as improve infant health, is holding an educational talk at the Barnes Center. “The Joys of Toys: Sex Toys 101” will outline the basics of using sex toys and how to properly take care of them. 

The final event features the Frisky February keynote speaker, Sonya Renee Taylor. Her talk “The Body is Not an Apology: From Body Empowerment to Global Justice” will be held Monday, March 2.  

Taylor is the founder and radical executive officer of The Body is Not an Apology, an online media platform that promotes self-love and body empowerment. Since 2011, the platform has reached tens of thousands of people expressing love for their appearances.  

Alana Barker, a sophomore stage management major, said she feels it is extremely important that the university holds events to bring more awareness of sexual health.  

“Safe sex is a necessity in the college culture, where hook-up culture is a thing,” Barker said. “That’s so fine, but people need to understand the risks associated with that and be OK talking about it with people our age.”