Student Life

Attendance policies force students to sacrifice their well-being

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Students shouldn’t go to class with the flu. This may sound like a relatively uncontroversial opinion, yet countless students attend class when they’re sick.

Many students argue that they must attend class no matter how they feel in order to avoid losing attendance points. This raises an important point that professors need to understand: Students don’t always miss class to nurse a hangover, catch up on sleep, or work on other assignments.

Hence, they shouldn’t always be so strict with students on attendance. Instead, they should be willing to work with students to keep up with work. This is especially important since, for any absences less than 48 hours, students must discuss academic arrangements with their professors, and an absence notification does not replace the absence policy listed on any course syllabus, according to the Office of Student Assistance.

Jenna Merry, a second-year architecture student, said she was forced to attend studio class last year with the flu.

“It was near a deadline and I knew that if I kept missing classes that my grade would be docked,” said Merry. “Health Services told me that I had to miss two classes in a row to be excused and I wasn’t missing more than I had to because that stresses me out. So, I went and I literally collapsed on my desk. My TA was watching me die in front of her, but she wouldn’t let me leave.”

The Office of Student Assistance will address absences that are 48 hours or longer if students have the required documentation. This is problematic as many students may experience severe cold symptoms or the stomach bug for only 24 hours. Hence, they’re only immobile for one day. Therefore, this policy contradicts their purpose of being an asset to students who need to class as it can actually make them miss more class than necessary.

Jennifer Moffat, Ph.D., an associate professor of microbiology and immunology at Upstate Medical University, said students with the flu shouldn’t be out in public.

“If you come to my class and you’re obviously ill, you’re not learning. So, what’s the point?” said Moffat.

Most importantly, students shouldn’t power through the flu as if they don’t have the illness.  Neglecting any of these responsibilities will only prolong the flu or make it worse. Hence, students who make the wrong choices with their recovery will not only maximize their downtime but increase the chances of others getting sick.

“People shouldn’t just power through and contaminate everyone and go to class,” Moffat said.

Students who are not sick are tasked with the responsibility of practicing specific steps to prevent themselves from getting sick with the flu. Such steps include getting the flu vaccination and practicing good hygiene.

The flu vaccination is effective. Although vaccine effectiveness varies, recent studies show that flu shots can reduce the risk of flu illness by up to 60%, depending on the year.

“Even if you catch the flu, it’s going to be a milder case. So, the vaccine will protect you from serious consequences of the flu and shorter the duration,” Moffat said. She also recommends keeping good hygiene by washing your hands and keeping your hands off your face.

Students need to take illness seriously. Those who have the flu should not be attending class. Doing so only shares the viruses with others, spreading it to other students, facilities, and families. Because of this, professors and the SU Office of Student Assistance should amend their attendance and absence policies to allow sick students to stay home instead of endangering others.

Jenna Wirth is a sophomore studying magazine journalism. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected]. She can be followed on Twitter at @jenna__wirth.