Superlatives from Syracuse’s 67-63 loss to Virginia Tech

Courtesy of Syracuse.com

Bourama Sidibe finished the loss with five points, the fewest of any Syracuse player who saw the court Tuesday, and nine rebound.

Syracuse (8-7, 1-3 Atlantic Coast) lost 67-63 to Virginia Tech (11-4, 2-2 ACC). The Orange controlled most of the game, but gave away their lead with under 10 minutes left in the game. The loss further damages the Orange’s resume, and tournament hopes.

Here are superlatives from the game:

The Big Moment: Jalen Cone’s 3-pointer plus a foul

Down by two after two Joe Girard III free throws, Virginia Tech worked it around the arc to the freshman Cone in the corner. The Hokies had struggled to get the ball to the corner all game, opting to pass along the elbows a majority of the time, but whenever they worked it to the corners, the Orange struggled to rotate.

Marek Dolezaj rotated out to Cone late and threw his hand towards Cone’s torso. Cone sold it well, fell to the ground while the shot went through the net. The play jump-started an offensive and defensive stand for the Hokies that ballooned their lead to eight points. The Orange gave a fight near the end of the game, but after Cone’s 3-pointer turned the game around SU never had control.

Stud: Joe Girard III

The freshman picked back up from where he left off in the Orange’s matchup against Notre Dame, he even came out much more aggressive. Rather than look for spot-up 3-pointers that have defined him in his early Syracuse career, the freshman flashed a pull-up jumper in addition to several hard drives to the rim. While they were unsuccessful early, Girard’s ability to use his dribble to get into the lane created several opportunities.

Dud: Bourama Sidibe

Sidibe had a strong start to the Orange’s matchup with Notre Dame, but against Virginia Tech Sidibe was pushed around easily despite being the tallest player on the floor. Sidibe’s height was supposed to give the Orange an advantage, but in the first half, Jim Boeheim had to go to Quincy Guerrier, whose strength was a much better match for the Hokies physical defenders.

In the second half, Sidibe started with active hands and even recorded a steal. But a quick foul just under three minutes into the half forced Boeheim to make the switch back to Guerrier. Boeheim gave Sidibe another chance out of a timeout with a little over 11 minutes to go in the game and the junior center turned over the ball trying to dribble in the paint. Guerrier replaced him immediately.

Highlight: Marek Dolezaj’s lob to Bourama Sidibe

After he was urged by Jim Boeheim on the sideline, Girard looked to the high-post on his next trip down the court early in the first half. After a pass to Marek Dolezaj brought all the defense out to the free throw line, Dolezaj turned with little hesitation and fired a lob to a cutting Sidibe who finished powerfully at the rim, energizing an early SU run.

Lowlight: Marek Dolezaj turns the ball over at the top of the key

Out of a timeout midway through the second half, Marek Dolezaj held the ball at the high post and tried to put the ball on the floor to make a play. But the ball was poked away from him and Landers Nolley II finished on the other end of the floor with an uncontested dunk. The dunk knotted the game at 42 points and capped a nine-point Virginia Tech comeback.