on campus

SU cancels classes due to snow for 4th time in history

Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for central New York that will end Monday night.

Syracuse University canceled all Monday classes due to snow, the fourth class cancelation in SU’s history.

SU will operate on a “limited status” throughout the day, according to a Sunday SU News release. Only essential employees are required to report to their jobs, including campus safety and emergency services personnel, food services and residence hall staff. Faculty, administrative and office staff are not required to be on campus.

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for central New York that will remain in effect through Monday night. Significant snow accumulation and icy roads are expected. SU sent a winter weather alert text message around 3:30 p.m. Sunday announcing the cancelation.

Essential buildings on campus will remain open with limited services on Monday, including Bird and Carnegie libraries, the Barnes Center at The Arch and residence hall dining centers. Online classes will continue as usual.

Monday is the first day of class after the Thanksgiving break. The university urged students to use caution and take as much time as needed to safely return to campus. Snow accumulation on Sunday night is estimated to be about 5 inches; wind speed on Monday will be 7 to 9 mph.

Syracuse Hancock International Airport also closed both of its runways Sunday night due to ice and snow conditions, according to a tweet from the airport posted just before 6 p.m. Snow removal teams worked to clear the runways. The airport reopened at around 6:45 p.m. Sunday.

SU last cancelled classes for an entire day due to snow in March 2018. SU cancelled only evening classes due to below-zero wind-chill in January.