Screen Time Column

‘The Rise of Skywalker’ provides lackluster addition to Star Wars franchise

Kevin Camelo | Senior Staff

Most people seeing “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” this week are once again seeing a franchise they grew up with on the big screen. For me, seeing “The Rise of Skywalker” was a first in my Star Wars film viewing experience.

Yes, this is the first Star Wars film that I have seen in theaters. This is mainly because I did not grow up watching Star Wars every year like loyal fans. Rather, I grew up in a family that does not care for science fiction.

In some respects, I actually enjoyed being an outsider to the Star Wars universe because it made me unique. However, as I became more invested in film, I realized that these films are an important part of film history. The original trilogy is a bridge between classic films from filmmakers like Akira Kurosawa and the modern era of blockbuster cinema. Avoiding this franchise is like turning a blind eye to history.

So, this year, I journeyed into the vault and saw every entry in the main Star Wars saga. I have not yet seen the spin-offs “Rogue One” or “Solo” or any of the television series based on the properties.

Through the first two films in the new sequel trilogy, Disney has carried the torch from director George Lucas well. “The Force Awakens” and “The Last Jedi” are both entertaining and invigorating films that, while passing familiar beats, take Star Wars to bold and enjoyable places. They have provided us with fantastic new characters like Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren and Rose while expanding on the cornerstones of the original trilogy in Luke, Leia and Han Solo.

That is, until the final entry. Not to say that the film is lackluster, but as a conclusion to this trilogy and as a film in general, “The Rise of Skywalker” is a sloppy end to a solid trilogy.

The biggest issues with “The Rise of Skywalker” come from the film’s response to the previous entry in the Skywalker saga. This film undoes most of the developments from “The Last Jedi,” like the details of Rey’s parents, Rose’s role as a character and Kylo Ren’s downfall. Yes, “The Last Jedi” received heavy backlash and criticism, but director and screenwriter Rian Johnson takes the few mysteries J.J. Abrams left in “The Force Awakens” and brings the series to new places.

“The Rise of Skywalker” takes those changes and throws them out the window. As such, much of the first two acts show Rey going through the same arc of self-discovery and doubts on whether or not she should be a Jedi or a Sith in “The Last Jedi.” Meanwhile, Finn and Poe are there for the ride without any expansion from their previous story arcs. New characters played by great actors such as Naomi Ackie, Keri Russell, and Richard E. Grant are added and given little development, while previous characters, like Rose and Maz Kanata, are relegated to minor background roles.

Kylo Ren also suffers from this change in direction. Instead of being allowed to lead the First Order solely, he has to take orders from the returning Emperor Palpatine. And, while the ageless wonder Ian McDiarmid is once again fantastic, his return bogs down the film. His presence makes the film feel too similar to “Return of the Jedi” without the expansion that Abrams brought to “The Force Awakens.”

That is not to say that the film is not without some merit. The action scenes are still enjoyable, although I wish they were edited with fewer cuts. John Williams’ score is still iconic, and the special effects and puppetry are still top-notch. There is even plenty of fan service for all of the die-hard Star Wars fans looking for another Star Wars film.

However, even for someone new to the franchise, “The Rise of Skywalker” provides answers that not only deviate from the previous two entries in the franchise, but also prevent the series from exploring new ground in its final entry.

As with anything, I am going to revisit this franchise in the future, and maybe my opinions will change about Star Wars, as no opinion on a film is final. Like other films, my journey with Star Wars is far from over. I will be seeing many more films in a galaxy far, far away as Disney keeps making more films. But for now, “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” leaves the franchise on an unfortunately hollow note.