Opponent preview: What to know about Georgia Tech

Elijah Hughes, pictured against Georgia Tech last season, is coming off a season-low 10 points in the Orange's last loss.

After securing its worst start since before the Jim Boeheim era, Syracuse (4-4, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) looks to avoid its fourth-straight loss in a conference matchup with Georgia Tech on Saturday. SU travels to Atlanta, Georgia after falling by double-digits in each of the past three games. This is the last conference game for Syracuse before three nonconference games complete its non-league schedule.

Here’s what to know about the Yellow Jackets ahead of the matchup.

All-time series: Georgia Tech leads, 6-5

Last time they played: On Jan. 12, 2019, Georgia Tech played SU in the third game of the Orange’s conference schedule and beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, 73-59. Jose Alvarado, who’s appeared in just two games for the Yellow Jackets this year, led the team with 19 points and GT held the Orange to just 31.6% shooting from the field.

The Georgia Tech report: Georgia Tech has a good balance of scoring consistency and defensive force on its roster. A losing team a season ago that finished with a 14-18 record, the Yellow Jackets have already shown signs of a leap forward this year. Inserting Khalid Moore into their starting lineup has given the team more defense on the perimeter, and James Banks III’s country-leading average of 4.67 blocks exemplifies an improvement for the senior as well.

But perhaps the biggest growth GT made this year was the development of sophomore Michael Devoe. The second-year starter increased his scoring average from 9.7 to 23.4 points per game this season and gives the Yellow Jackets a sure-fire offensive threat every time he’s out on the floor. Against Syracuse’s 2-3 zone, Devoe’s shot-making could be dangerous. He already has a 30-point game just five contests into the season.

How Syracuse beats GT: Simply said, Syracuse needs to get hot and quick. Devoe will do damage no matter the opponent and – like Syracuse with Elijah Hughes contributing on a nightly basis – damage can be done to GT without taking Devoe out of the game. The Yellow Jackets don’t have a go-to No. 2 scorer, and that’s something that the Orange can take advantage of.

Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard III haven’t been on the mark the past couple of games, but if they become legitimate scoring threats Saturday the game has a way of opening itself up. The Orange might even get some easy baskets on the inside. Nothing can be abandoned trying to avoid a four-game losing streak.

Stat to know: 38.7 — The effective field goal percentage the Georgia Tech defense has held opponents to this season, the third-best mark in the country per KenPom.

KenPom odds: Syracuse has a 38% chance to win the game Saturday, with a projected final score of 67-62 per KenPom.

Player to watch: Khalid Moore, No. 12, forward

Moore’s name doesn’t jump out on the box score, averaging just 6.4 points and 4.8 rebounds, but he can defend with the best in the conference. The 6-foot-7 wing with long arms gives the Yellow Jackets a perimeter presence they didn’t have last year, with Moore playing sparingly in his first season. Against Syracuse’s perimeter-oriented team, expect Moore to make a few game-changing plays.