Screen Time Column

Mister Rogers is back with ‘A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’

Kevin Camelo | Co-Digital Editor

Just as the scathing journalist Lloyd Vogel did in “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” it is easy for people to look down upon others who create programming and products for children. However, these programs can still be mature and introspective.

Such is the case with “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.” Aside from Tom Hanks delivering another iconic performance as Fred Rogers, director Marielle Heller has crafted a beautiful film that pays tribute to Rogers’ work. It also gives adults important lessons about forgiveness and openness.

Loosely based on Tom Junod’s Esquire feature “Can You Say…Hero?” from 1998, “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” is framed as an episode of “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” centering around the life of Vogel, a journalist known for tearing down his subjects.

In the film, Vogel is assigned to write a 400-word feature on Rogers to improve the journalist’s likability. As Vogel interviews Rogers, he starts to reminisce about his troubled relationship with his own father and the challenges he faces as he builds his own family.

I will admit, I was skeptical about whether Hanks could embody Rogers well or if he would put on an uninspired impersonation. Several scenes in, those doubts were wiped away. While he’s not doing a perfect impersonation of Rogers – as nobody can – he has the same warmth and distinction as the larger than life person. This mainly shines through the genuine kindness and humility that are present in every conversation Hanks has during the film.

In addition, Hanks, and the film as a whole, does convey the challenges Rogers faces to be kind. Every time Vogel asks Rogers a question, you can see him pause and reconsider his lifestyle at certain points.

895: The amount of episodes of "Mister Rodgers' Neighborhood." The show ran on PBS from 1968-2001.

Karleigh Meritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

The whole film is literally an episode of “Mister Rogers,” a television show that teaches children life lessons by utilizing puppets and storytelling. Both the television show and the film start with Rogers welcoming viewers into his neighborhood.

The movie then leads into Vogel’s path to forgiveness. Rogers’ land of make-believe mimics some of the real neighborhoods in cities like Pittsburgh and New York City. The pacing of the film is relaxed and leaves much time for quiet reflection and conversation, an important feature of the original show.

The pacing not only makes “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” a standout film, but it also adds to Vogel’s story. It provides a launch point for Vogel to express his feeling and longtime resentment toward his father.

Like in previous episodes of the classic show, Vogel comes to terms with his issues and verbally acknowledges his shortcomings and difficulties. He works to forgive his father for issues that began in his childhood while also trying to patch up his marriage and raise a young child himself.

This framing device helps “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” thrive despite several flaws. The musical score is inconsistent, with the inclusion of several songs that diverted from the instrumental music used in the show. But there are several moments that could be described as overly sentimental.

Yet, the point of Mister Rogers’ show was to provide children with ways to healthily express their feelings and cope with difficult issues. War, divorce, and depression were just three topics that Mister Rogers helped kids learn about at a young age.

“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” serves the same purpose now for people of all ages. It provides adults with a very real and, for some, painfully honest scenario about coming to terms with how individuals are raised. This is a difficult process to come by, especially at this time of the year. The film honors Fred Rogers’ legacy by marking the importance of being open with loved ones at any time of the year.