ducks

Duck: Allison Weis

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

After four semesters in house at the Daily Orange — plus one semester as a columnist — I cannot think of my time at Syracuse University without first thinking of that red door.

744 watched me grow from a little freshman columnist into a journalist. I spent many hours cackling, spilling tea and working here with some of the most talented people I’ve ever met. Thank you to the editors who taught me everything I know and thank you to the friends who were there for me along the way.

Anna: If I were to describe you to someone that didn’t know you, I would just send them that emoji that smiles with both its hands up. You always light up whatever room you’re in, and whenever we’re together, our loud joking and joshing usually fills the room too. We can’t even stay sad for long because when we do cry it always turns into a joke like the infamous sad chair or our hit single from our second album: “Crying on the Promenade.” Though we always talked about wanting work-life balance, I know our priorities are most definitely in check as we only practiced with Les Foliage on D.O. Fridays and crafting is just our hobby — not our profession. Long story short, I’m so proud of you and how far we’ve come. I don’t know how just a year ago we were walking around Destiny making Build-a-Bears look-a-likes of frat boys as now we’re mini adults who talk about our internships at major media companies. I can’t wait to watch you achieve all of your dreams because not only do you have the talent, but you have the work ethic to make it happen. Thank you for being my D.O. sister, my crafting pal and my adventure buddy. What are you doing on this side of town!? Los Angeles is calling your name!

Meredith: First, thank you for keeping my biggest secret — I don’t think I would’ve lasted long enough to even have a duck if you shared to Kathryn and Aishwarya that I’m actually the worst environmentalist ever. I’m a sham! Thank you for not telling my editors about all of the disposable seltzer cans I went through during my environment columnist tenure. Phew, now that’s off my chest, the fact that I’m finishing out my D.O. years is as much of an accomplishment for me as it is for you. You have literally been there from the beginning when you were trying to get onto the advertising staff and I was an environment columnist. Thank you for helping me get through all the tough nights by never saying no to a late-night tea session. I will forever say that I want to be Meredith Lewis when I grow up. Not only because you’re destined to be an HBO advertising executive, but because you already amaze and inspire me with everything you do — your work ethic is unmatched. Thank you for asking me to be your roommate in the Newhouse GroupMe and for being by my side ever since. I hope you get a job in D.C. this summer because I don’t know how I’m going to go 8 months without living with you. But also because if we were in the same city that would be: paradise.

Sarah: From day one we were in the same peer-leader group for Newhouse. Two newspaper journalism majors who eventually became friends and talked about applying for in-house positions together. Two years later we finally got the chance to work side by side in the same semester, and I honestly can say that I couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you for all of the smiles and the laughter. I don’t know how Pulp was blessed with two hilarious girls with the same sense of humor but they’re welcome! We are pure chaotic energy when we’re together and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thank you for your beautiful words, I can’t wait to read you in Politico one day.

Ghael: I wish we had more time at The Daily Orange together, but I can’t wait until we’re both back on campus in the fall. I can’t wait for more laughter and memories, hopefully some where we’re not dressed as members of the Disney Channel Games. I know you’re going to do amazing things, so I can’t wait to watch and say “I knew him when!” and get to cheer you on.

Kevin: At The Daily Orange when the clock struck 11 and everyone started getting delirious, there was no one better to reenergize us and keep us laughing. I couldn’t have survived the late nights without you. I can’t wait until we’re hanging out in the real Food.com, eating Chicken Pesto paninis and maybe just maybe seeing ~pause for effect~ Margot Lee. *air high five across the Pulp room*

Diana: The power of Pulp! Thank you for a great semester, the section did some amazing stories this semester and you should be proud of the section’s success. But also, thank you for the laughter and the dance sessions. I wish you so much luck in New York, I hope you have a great time.

Amy: Is there anything you can’t do!? Design, digital and now feature writing. You are always such a light in the house, I can’t wait to see what you’ll do with the Pulp section next semester.

Casey: You are probably the most talented and the most intelligent person that has walked through 744’s door — ever. I am so lucky to call you a friend. I would say that I’m looking forward to coming back to campus and finally hanging out outside of The Daily Orange, but I may have to wait until we graduate for that to ever happen. I can’t wait to see all that you’ll do at our new home and beyond. 

Dabbundo: You are probably the only BDJ kid I like. But that statement doesn’t give you enough credit because you’re just a genuinely wonderful person to be around. Thank you for some great memories, can’t wait to spend time across the pond together.

Kelsey: Where do I start? We shared our first semesters in-house together, thank you for being my first introduction to the house. Thank you for your advice on life and journalism. I always look to your feature stories for inspiration on how to write a beautiful story to this day. But most of all thank you for being someone that I have been able to look up to since my first semester in house. Also, me and Meredith are huge fans of your Twitter. Texas is so lucky to have you.

Kathryn: Thank you for hiring me when I was a little excited freshman who just wanted to work for The Daily Orange. I’ve always looked up to you and I continue to look up to you to this day. You’re hilarious and I’m so glad our time at The Daily Orange overlapped for even just a year.

Aishwarya: Op forever! Thank you for many memories on the op porch together. So much tea was spilled there’s no wonder the porch was sagging so much! If only we could’ve spilled some of that tea onto the Barack Obama chia pet. That poor thing still needs to be watered! Every time I see an update of what you’re doing in New York I smile. You’re an icon and I am looking forward to continuing to watch you kill it.

Sessa: From the first time I heard about you — and that you were a boy scout and that probably meant that you could teach me how to tie knots — I was impressed. You thrived as a gender and sexuality columnist, as an assistant and recently as Editorial Editor. I can’t wait to watch what you’ll do next.

Brittany: Have fun with Op next semester. Opinion is a great section and I can’t wait to see what you’ll do with it. I know you’re going to absolutely kill it. 

Mandy: I am impressed with your copy editing skills, your reporting and your patience. Thank you for putting up with the shenanigans this semester, I hope you have a blast at The Daily Orange for the rest of your time here. I look forward to reading more of your amazing work. The power of Pulp!

Chris: Whether you’re writing feature stories, news stories or sports stories — I can’t wait to read more from you. Rolling Stone most definitely WOULD (do the opposite of what’s written on Pulp’s ceiling, keeping this Duck PG).

Izzy: You’ll soar in any career you choose, but after reading your Pulp stories this semester I hope that you stick with journalism.

Pulp freshman writers: I hope that you love working at The Daily Orange as much as I did. Work on your writing, your editing and get an in-house position if you can. It’s a lot of work and it’s a lot of personalities, but if you stay true to yourself and your work, you will get a lot out of the experience.

Mom, Dad and Em: Mostly, thank you for the late night calls that kept me company on my cold walks back from 744. But also thank you for always supporting me and celebrating me. I love you so much and I’m so lucky to have the coolest and most loving family ever.