Football Column

Black: Tommy DeVito should be respected despite losing season

Gavin Liddell | Staff Photographer

Tommy DeVito's 19 passing touchdowns this season is more than Eric Dungey managed in any season.

Tommy DeVito is a “sweetheart.” At least his backup quarterback Clayton Welch thinks he is, thanks to his willingness to always put others first.

If Welch ever needs anything from DeVito, he knows his road trip roommate has his back. Their relationship started when Welch, who now doesn’t shy away from the spotlight, first got to Syracuse and was one of the more shy players on the team. DeVito noticed and always made a point to go up to Welch to ask him if he wanted to hang out or get something to eat.

But those aren’t the reasons why Syracuse fans and college football fans alike need to start respecting the Orange’s signal-caller more. Sure, he’s a great teammate. Sure, he can be a goofy and fun friend off the field. No, DeVito deserves more respect for his play inside the white lines.

Ten. That’s how many FBS quarterbacks have thrown for as many touchdowns (19) as DeVito did this season while simultaneously throwing five interceptions or fewer. Despite not being able to start in the season finale, DeVito finished with top-eight marks all-time in Syracuse history in touchdowns, passing yards, completions and completion percentage. By every single measure in the book, DeVito had an all-time great season in terms of SU quarterbacks.

But scroll through Twitter or read some articles written about DeVito earlier this season and you won’t find any inclination suggesting so. Instead, you’ll read SU fans ripping their quarterback apart for his play early in the season.

“That’s part of the position,” DeVito said. “But you just gotta stay positive throughout it all, stay level-headed, don’t get too high, don’t get too low, just be there and play football.”

Side by side: How Tommy DeVito and Eric Dungey's first seasons compared

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

DeVito fought through some growing pains during his first few games as Syracuse’s full-time starting quarterback. After the graduation of Eric Dungey, the program’s most productive quarterback of all time, anyone would’ve fallen short of his expectations. Though he made some mistakes, at no point was DeVito’s play detrimental. And he never should’ve been benched.

Most fans define seasons by results. Wins. Even against the reigning national champions. And when those wins didn’t come, one player was to blame — DeVito. Not the running game, which significantly underperformed expectations, not the defense, which took multiple steps back from its level of play last season. DeVito.

He stayed positive without responding to the criticism, without putting the blame on others, without getting down on himself. In Syracuse’s last eight games after the Clemson loss on Sept. 14, DeVito threw for 16 touchdowns and one interception. In fact, it’s been over two months since he’s thrown a pick.

“Credit or not, he’s gonna be Tommy DeVito,” Welch said. “He’s gonna go out there and go compete and have fun.”

Where are the nice tweets about DeVito? A 16-1 touchdown to interception ratio over the span of two months should spur some positive posts and stories, right? Nope. Others credited the running game, the defense or the coaching in Syracuse’s wins over Western Michigan and Holy Cross. DeVito threw eight combined touchdowns in those two games.

When DeVito got banged up against the Crusaders, he returned to the field with extra padding around his ribs two weeks later for SU’s next game against NC State. In that game, DeVito threw for 300 yards and a touchdown. DeVito played versus Pittsburgh, too, despite clearly being less than 100%. During Syracuse’s last game of the season against Wake Forest, after a week of practice when DeVito had his foot stepped on by an offensive lineman, he played when Welch was briefly knocked out.

“When he was going through a rough time, he took it,” Welch said. “I try to be a bigger brother, but he’s so mature and his head is always on so straight that sometimes it’s like, ‘Why am I telling you this? You already know.’”

On point: How Tommy DeVito's stats this season rank in Syracuse history

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

The physical toughness DeVito has shown all season isn’t much different than that of Dungey’s throughout his career. That was what epitomized Dungey, a physical warrior who would do anything for his team. That’s why Orange fans loved him. And yet, didn’t DeVito fight through multiple injuries this year and still returned under center?

DeVito is not Dungey, and he never will be. DeVito is a better passer with a more accurate arm, with the talent to make big passes under pressure at any point in a game. He’s not as much of a loose cannon as Dungey was and as evidenced by his play over the last half of this season, is significantly less turnover-prone. His 19 touchdowns this season, which came in only 10 full games, are more than Dungey ever threw in a season.

No, Tommy DeVito isn’t Eric Dungey. He may be better. It’s time for fans to realize that and give him a fair chance.