Volleyball

Syracuse’s 5-game winning streak snapped in road loss to Louisville

Will Fudge | Staff Photographer

Syracuse made seven attacking errors and three service errors in the opening set.

Syracuse’s (10-12, 7-8 Atlantic Coast) longest winning streak of the season was snapped on Friday in a straight-set road loss against Louisville (17-8, 10-5 ACC). In the previous meeting, Syracuse defeated the Cardinals in a come-from-behind, five-set win in the Women’s Building. 

Three-time ACC Player of the Week Polina Shemanova struggled in Louisville, as the ACC leader in points per set only recorded 10 kills on 40 attacking chances. The St. Petersburg, Russia native also committed 10 attacking errors. 

In the first set, Syracuse and Louisville played tight, as the score was tied at 18 late in the first set. But a kill from Louisville freshmen outside hitter Amber Stivrins sparked a rally for Louisville. The Stivrins kill was followed by back-to-back attacking errors from middle blocker Dana Gardner and Yuliia Yastrub.

While a kill from Ella Saada brought the Orange back within two, four straight points from the Cardinals ended the first set, 25-19. Syracuse committed a total of 10 errors in the first set.

The second set was defined by sloppy play from Syracuse and dominant play from Louisville’s outside hitters. Louisville jumped out to a 15 to 9 lead in the second set, as the Cardinals capitalized on poor attacks from the Orange to sustain their scoring rallys. Lousiville would take a 10 point lead over the Orange with a block from Anna Stevenson and Tori Dilfer. 

Louisville ended the second set with a poor attacking play from freshman middle blocker Abby Casiano, 25-15. The Orange committed double-digit error numbers in the second set as well. 

The third and final set was similar to the second, as Louisville benefitted from the Orange’s attacking errors to open the set with a 19-9 lead. Syracuse committed seven errors in that span. The set ended with Shemanova attacking error, 25-15. 

The Orange committed 37 total errors in the straight-set loss at Louisville. Those errors accounted for 77% of Louisville’s points on the night. 

Syracuse continues its road trip with a rematch against 17-win Notre Dame in South Bend on Sunday. Syracuse beat the Irish in four sets in the team’s first meeting in the Women’s Building.