Syracuse fires defensive coordinator Brian Ward

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Brian Ward joined Syracuse as a defensive coordinator in 2016.

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers has fired defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Brian Ward, Syracuse Athletics announced in a press release Sunday afternoon. Defensive ends coach Steve Stanard has been promoted to interim defensive coordinator. 

Ward’s termination came one day after Syracuse (3-6, 0-5 Atlantic Coast) lost 58-27 to Boston College in the Carrier Dome. Against the Eagles, SU allowed five touchdowns of more than 50 yards in one quarter and a program record 496 rushing yards in total. 

“I want to thank Coach Ward for everything he’s done for Syracuse University and this football team,” Babers said in the press release. “However, I felt a change needed to be made at this time to give us the best opportunity for success moving forward.” 

Only 15 teams in the country are currently allowing more yards per game than the Orange, which has allowed 456.7 yards per game through the first nine contests this year. SU’s 30.7 points per game allowed is tied for 91st in the country. 

In several of Syracuse’s large deficits this year the Orange allowed big yardage on the ground including 354 rushing yards against Maryland, 241 to Florida State last week and most recently the program’s highest mark ever against BC. 

While the Orange are off this week, Stanard will consume the defensive coordinator role. Stanard is in his third season with the Orange and previously was the defensive coordinator at Wyoming from 2014-16. Stanard’s been a defensive coordinator in 20 of his more than 30 years coaching college football at programs such as Tulane, Colorado State and New Mexico State among others.

At Wyoming, Stanard’s defenses ranked third in the country in defensive touchdowns and 10th in turnovers. Syracuse didn’t have a problem creating turnovers under Ward, either, as the Orange recently had a string of 21 consecutive games with a turnover. 

In 2018, Syracuse’s defense ranked in the top 10 nationally in 3rd down defense, turnovers and sacks. This year, the Orange isn’t the top 10 in any of those categories.

Ward had been with the program since 2016. Ward worked with Babers at Bowling Green before coming over with him in 2015.