State Sen. Rachel May brings central New York view to state legislation

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

May plans to run for a second term in fall 2020.

Rachel May didn’t think her previous career as a Russian language professor would intersect much with her role as a New York state senator. But when she had to address Russian guests at the State Senate in honor of Russian American History Month, she was fully prepared.

She gave the first part of her speech in fluent Russian.

“I saw my colleagues whipping around and going ‘What on earth is she saying?’” May said. “Then they realized, ‘Oh, she actually speaks their language.’”

Last November, May was elected to represent the 53rd district in the New York State Senate. May beat Democratic incumbent David Valesky, who held the seat for 14 years, and defeated Republican Janet Burman by more than 20 percent of the vote.

Though her background is in higher education, May came into the position with many ideas for voter reform and climate change advocacy.

The most notable accomplishment of the previous legislative session was the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, May said. The bill set a goal for the state to fully transition to carbon-free electricity sources by 2040 and reduce its carbon emissions by 2050.

The bill addresses environmental and economic justice issues and makes New York a “real leader” of climate legislation, May said.

rachel may

Rachel May said conversations with people in her district have helped her feel that she can speak for the area she represents. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

“I was at the table with other key senators who were hammering out the details of that legislation, and I’m really proud of how that came out,” she said.

Emberlin Leja, a senior sociology and civic engagement major at Syracuse University and a coordinator with Sunrise CNY, said she admires May’s support of central New York voices in conversations about climate change.

May spoke at the Syracuse Climate Strike in September and held a February hearing at SUNY-ESF on the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act to give residents a chance to weigh in on the legislation.

“She is just really concerned about Syracuse residents having a hand and a voice in climate legislation,” Leja said.

The first time May visited Albany following her election, she was shocked at how many people knew her name.

“I stepped out of an elevator at the legislative office building in the capital, and everyone who was standing and waiting at the elevator said ‘Hi, senator,’” May said.

When May was first elected, she was not confident in her ability to advocate for her beliefs. She would be surprised when people would ask for her opinion. Conversations with people and groups from her district have helped her feel as though she can speak for the region she represents, she said.

“I have a lot more confidence in deserving a place at the table,” May said. “I realize that goes with being a senator but also with all of the experience and knowledge that I’ve gained.”

State Sen. Jen Metzger, who represents the 42nd district, said in an email that May was a “vocal proponent” of holding hearings on the climate bill. The State Senate has held hearings on other issues across the state to connect legislators in Albany with residents, she said. 

May’s environmental work precedes her time in the State Senate. Prior to her election, she earned a master’s degree in environmental communication from SUNY-ESF and served as SU’s sustainability education coordinator.

Michael Greene, a Syracuse councilor-at large, said May’s “fresh perspective” has been an asset to the city.

“She’s been an advocate for a lot of voting reform issues, like early voting and making it easier for people to vote,” Greene said. “That’s directly impacted local elections.”

I think I have a lot more confidence in deserving a place at the table. I realize that goes with being a senator, but also with all of the experience and knowledge that I’ve gained.
Rachel May, New York State Senator for the 53rd District

Voter reform was part of May’s platform during her campaign, she said.

This year, May co-sponsored a bill allowing for a period of early voting as part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2019 Justice Agenda. The voting reforms, which aimed to make voting accessible for people who would otherwise be unable to vote on Election Day, opened polls from Oct. 26 to Sunday.

“Early voting was one of the first things we voted on this year,” May said. “Having that happen and seeing people show up to the polls, it was really exciting.”

Greene said May’s role as a “prominent voice” for central New York is beneficial when working on big legislation, such as the decision to replace the aging Interstate 81 viaduct.

“She’s been a really big advocate for the community grid, which is something I totally agree with,” Greene said.

The 53rd district extends farther than just the city of Syracuse. Much of it is rural, and includes the cities of Morrisville, Hamilton and Clinton. May said it was a challenge to keep in mind the interests of both urban and rural members of the district. 

Though May lives in the city of Syracuse, she has spent time learning about issues affecting people in rural areas. As the chair of the Legislative Commission on Rural Resources, she has held hearings on high-speed internet accessibility in rural areas, among other things.

May hopes to further bring the perspective of central New Yorkers to statewide legislation next year. Some bills she previously proposed didn’t get passed, she said, and she plans to push them through next year. For example, as chair of the Committee on Aging, she worked on a bill that would provide tax credit to caregivers of the elderly.

May also wants to make sure bills that were passed this year, like the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, are “implemented optimally.”

Though she hadn’t thought of herself as becoming a career politician, she said that working in the State Senate comes with a learning curve. It would be a “waste” to only serve one term. She plans to run again in fall 2020 and said serving three terms would be “optimal.”

“Being a progressive voice from upstate has been a really important thing for me,” May said.