November hate crimes

Racial slurs written in Day Hall

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Rob Hradsky, vice president for the student experience, said in the email that the university regrets "not communicating more broadly."

UPDATED: Nov. 11 at 5:40 p.m.

Editor’s note: This article contains details about the usage of racial slurs.

Racial slurs against black and Asian people were written on two floors in a Syracuse University dorm building.

Ceiling lights in bathrooms on Day Hall’s sixth floor were pulled out and put in a toilet on Wednesday night. The N-word was written on part of the light, at least one mirror on the floor and on garbage cans. A slur against Asian people was also written on a bulletin board on Day Hall’s fourth floor.

Residents of Day’s fourth and sixth floors had at least two meetings since Wednesday. One was divided by floor and included Department of Public Safety officers, residence advisers and a Day Hall residence director, Tiantian Li. DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado and Chief Diversity Officer Keith Alford were at a Sunday meeting with residents of both floors, according to multiple sources.

At a meeting with fourth floor residents on Saturday, Li and DPS Detective Michael Toia confirmed that racial slurs were written on both floors. The Daily Orange has obtained an audio recording of that meeting.

“It’s really disheartening to happen on my floor,” said Tia McGee, a resident of Day Hall. “It’s unwelcoming. Like, dang, you really don’t like black people.”

Several students told The D.O. that a university official told them not to record the Sunday meeting. The university hasn’t held a hallwide meeting about the incidents. An announcement wasn’t sent to the campus community until about 5:20 p.m.

Rob Hradsky, vice president for the student experience, said in the email that the university regrets “not communicating more broadly.” A DPS investigation is ongoing, he said.

“We condemn all racist language and actions,” Hradsky said. “We remain focused on being a welcoming and inclusive campus environment, free of intolerance, bigotry and prejudice.”

Xyta Vrijmoet, a resident on Day’s sixth floor, said she was angry that SU officials hadn’t informed the campus of the incidents after the Sunday meeting. She posted videos to her Instagram story that night in which she detailed the vandalism and the meeting with SU officials.

“I’ve just been thinking about the way the school handles itself, and I’ve been pretty mad since I got here,” Vrijmoet told The D.O. on Monday. “I really just want to take action in any way I can.”

dayhall

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Li sent an email Saturday to fourth floor residents announcing more vandalism found on the fourth floor of Day, including slurs against black people.

“I want to be clear that the exhibited behavior and language are not tolerated at Syracuse University and within our residential community,” Li said in two separate emails.

The incidents at Day Hall will be discussed at the the Juvenile Urban Multicultural Program’s general body meeting at 7 p.m. in Watson Theater.

Student Association posted a statement Monday criticizing the lack of information from SU officials. SA urged the university to provide more information to the campus “immediately.”

“The Student Association expects a distinct level of transparency from the university’s administration, a level that we have not yet seen in regards to this issue,” the statement reads.

Renegade Magazine, a black general interest magazine, posted on Instagram Sunday night: “Once notified of the actions, the Chief of DPS, the Chief Diversity Officer, the Dean of Students, and an administrator told the residents on the floors to not spread any photos or videos of the incident … We can’t let them cover this up.”

“They should have let people know, and they should be telling people they’re taking action so people are informed and feel safe,” Vrijmoet said.

SU’s Residence Hall Association will hold a forum Tuesday at 8 p.m. in Lyman Hall 132 to discuss the vandalism. RHA issued a statement on Instagram Sunday condemning the university for not informing the campus community of the incidents.

“The administration of Syracuse University has failed to inform residents of this incident and have put in jeopardy the safety of minority students on this campus,” the statement reads. “University officials need to be held accountable for how this situation is being handled.”

This post was updated with additional reporting.

We invite you to hear directly from our reporters about the stories in our Syracuse community on The Daily Orange Podcast, hosted by Ghael Fobes.