Volleyball

Polina Shemanova wins ACC Player of the Week after record weekend

Will Fudge | Staff Photographer

Polina Shemanova had 36 kills in a five-set win over Louisville this weekend.

For a second straight week, Syracuse sophomore outside hitter Polina Shemanova has won Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week. This honor comes after Shemanova broke the school’s record for kills in a single game with 36 kills in a five-set win over Louisville.

Shemanova also recorded a 34.6 hitting percentage, three block assists and 17 digs against the Cardinals. On Friday night, in a 3-1 win over Notre Dame, Shemanova led the Orange with 22 kills. The sophomore also tallied one service ace and 18 digs against the Fighting Irish. 

Shemanova has started to hit her stride after struggling at the start of the 2019 campaign. Over the past four games, Shemanova has collected 88 kills and committed an average of just more than eight errors per game. The St. Petersburg, Russia native leads the ACC in kills per set and total points with 406.5. 

“Don’t think you can ask more from a player coming in, even freshman year when she came in we knew something was really special with Polina,” senior libero Aliah Bowllan said. “We’re really lucky to have her and I don’t think anyone could ask for any more.” 

Last season, Shemanova was named ACC Freshman of the Year after leading the Orange to their first NCAA tournament appearance in program history. She led Syracuse with 447 kills over 28 games in 2018. This season, she leads all Syracuse players with 357 kills over 19 games. 

Shemanova will follow up her historic performance against Louisville with a trip to 17-win Boston College, as Syracuse hopes to continue its three-game win streak.