McCleary:‌ ‌Historic‌ ‌loss‌ ‌shows ‌wide‌ ‌gap‌ ‌between‌ ‌UVA‌ ‌and‌ ‌SU‌

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Virginia's pack line defense held Syracuse to just 34 points last Wednesday, the lowest SU total since 1945.

After Syracuse recorded its worst offensive performance since the end of World War II, Jim Boeheim treated the game like any season-opener. SU’s roster full of potential recognized none of it on Nov. 6. Boeheim strolled to the podium frustrated, but looked to put the misfortunes of the Orange’s embarrassing performance in the past. 

“I wish we would’ve won so when I say it, what I’m going to say would matter,” Boeheim said. “You never want to play leagues game early. It’s stupid. It’s just a money grab.” 

Boeheim may be right, but his comments are reflective of the stark contrasts between the two program’s expectations, creating a dangerous precedent for a team whose allure surrounds its seemingly endless possibility. Virginia’s season will be judged on how deep it can run in the NCAA Tournament in the year following a championship win. Syracuse will be judged on whether or not it will get in at all. 

To call Syracuse a dumpster fire after a performance normally reserved for its worst seasons ever would be misinformed. But to maintain blind faith would be overlooking the profound depths they reached against the Cavaliers. The Orange, in all likelihood, can only improve from here with a slew of nonconference and mid-major opponents on the horizon. But, just as likely, Virginia — and all the other ACC teams that started its season with a more obvious crop of talent than SU — can too. 

Elijah Hughes on the ground with Jim Boeheim in the background

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

The Orange entered the season with more unknowns than proven contributors. The yearly pondering over the center spot persisted after Paschal Chukwu graduated. Elijah Hughes stepped into a No. 1 role he hasn’t mimicked in nearly five yearsAnd a starting lineup that’s returning just one player from last year’s tournament team is tasked with quickly meshing in the Orange’s 2-3 zone 

But through two preseason games, SU seemingly offered some answers. It found an identity with the 3-point shot, showed promise with its defensive rotations and Hughes elevated his game to become the Orange’s unquestioned leader. 

I’m really excited we get to open up with a game like (Virginia),” shooting guard Buddy Boeheim said after the Orange’s win over Carleton. “It just sets the tone for the season.” 

But the tone the Orange set was the antithesis of their path toward a successful season. Their 3-point strategy failed. Hughes, the only SU player in double figures, shot just 4-for-14 from the floor. Starting center Bourama Sidibe had twice as many fouls (four) as points (two). A Syracuse team that promised to be different offered much of the same. 

The Cavaliers, though, showcased a defensive identity with their always-lethal pack-line strategy and scorched the Orange with 26 of Virginia’s 48 points coming in the paint.  

Cold front: After shooting 40% or more from beyond the arc in its exhibition games, Syracuse made only five 3-pointers against Virginia in its season-opener

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

Boeheim repeated that the Cavaliers are the best defensive team that the Orange will play until the two teams meet again. Playing them in November compared to March doesn’t change that their first game won’t have an impact on their ability to defend.

But Syracuse will have to play Virginia again, and a number of other ACC teams on a similar standing. Coming into Wednesday, questions loomed above both teams regarding their individual abilities to recover from a loss of stars. Syracuse and Virginia, by the nature of college basketball’s four-year maximum eligibility, have reset their rosters several times throughout the years.  

The results have always followed a similar pattern: Virginia rises to be one of the top teams in the country under the guidance of head coach Tony Bennett. And Syracuse remains a middling program whose ability to sneak into the tournament sometimes produces deep runs when it perfects its 2-3 zone. 

Though, an answer at the five never fully emerges, Syracuse’s No. 1 option is never fully enough, and the defense never fully becomes impenetrable. The ceiling is simply lower — in NBA draft talent, in offensive efficiency, in success in March. Perhaps the Orange’s loss Wednesday illuminated the least surprising thing of all: Syracuse, with still so many questions left unanswered, won’t fool anyone. 

Michael McCleary is a senior staff writer for The Daily Orange where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @MikeJMcCleary