Women's Soccer

Syracuse dominated by No. 17 Clemson in 4-1 loss

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Junior Lysianne Proulx made five saves in Saturday night's loss.

Syracuse entered Saturday night’s game with just one goal and one point in six road games. Playing in Clemson, South Carolina against the No. 17 Tigers (9-4-1, 3-4-0 Atlantic Coast) was not the cure to the Orange’s road woes as Syracuse (3-9-2, 1-5-1) was dominated throughout a 4-1 loss.   

SU was able to keep it competitive early, with Lysianne Proulx making two key saves in the opening 30 minutes. Sydney Brackett recorded a shot eight minutes into her first start since Sept. 12 against St. John’s. She had been reduced to limited minutes off the bench in her first games back from injury on Oct. 10 against Wake Forest and Oct. 13 against Miami.

But the Orange would only create four shots all night, while Clemson’s offense wouldn’t cease, tallying 24. The Tigers finally broke through in the 33rd minute when Renee Guion put a shot into the top right corner of the net for her first goal of the season, assisted by Julie Mackin. Just eight minutes later, another Tiger scored her first-career goal, this time Abby Hanks on a low shot from the middle of the box, assisted by Mackenzie Smith and Lauren Bruns.

The barrage continued in the 61st minute courtesy of Kimber Haley on a low chip shot with an assist from Mackin. It only took three minutes before Clemson extended the lead to four with a header by Patrice DiPasquale.

It wasn’t until the 89th minute that the Orange were able to get on the board. Stephanie deLaforcade, who has become a key sub for head coach Nicky Adams, poked it into the back of the net on an assist from freshman Teri Jackson. However, it was too late, and SU fell handedly once again, this time 4-1. 

Syracuse will next play again in the Carolinas on Thursday night against NC State (6-5-4, 1-2-4) and next Sunday afternoon against No. 9 Duke (7-1-6, 2-0-5) before closing out the season at home against Virginia (11-0-3, 3-0-3) on Oct. 31.