Cross Country

Syracuse stumbles at Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational

At the biggest regular season meet of the year, Syracuse's best runners struggled.

At the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational, Syracuse’s largest regular season meet of the year, the No. 12 men and No. 15 women finished 24th and 25th, respectively.

After a month of rest following a sweep at the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown, the Orange seemed to lose their momentum. Both teams ended third out of the four Atlantic Coast Conference teams competing on the day.

For the men, redshirt sophomore Nathan Henderson (24:17.5) led the way in 50th, and redshirt freshman Nathan Lawler (24:23.5) placed 63rd. It was a disastrous day for the upperclassmen as redshirt senior Kevin James (25:05.6) finished 170th and redshirt senior Simon Smith (25:13.5) finished 180th. Redshirt junior Joseph Dragon (25:20.9) finished 189th. For Smith and Dragon, these were the worst results of their collegiate careers.

Senior Aidan Tooker did not finish the race.

For the women, junior Amanda Vestri (20:36.8) continued her strong season by placing 37th and redshirt junior Rachel Bonner (21:03.8) placed 70th. Following an impressive debut, graduate transfer Jordan Jacob (21:23.1) failed to repeat her previous success, placing 116th. Sophomore Laura Dickinson did not complete the event.

With championship races rapidly approaching, and only one more regular season event remaining, the Orange will try to turn things around at the John Reif Memorial in Ithaca, New York next Friday.