SU African Student Union to host this year’s ‘Rip the Runway’

Courtesy of Nneka Akukwe

Aminata Sanogo said that she’s encouraging the models to express their personalities during their walks.

Before deciding which model will wear her clothing, designer Queen Enidiok makes sure of one thing: They have the personality to pull off the outfit.

“My brand is based on royalty, so when I pick a model, I’m looking for a character that cannot just look it but depict that when they put on those clothes,” Enidiok said.

This is mirrored in how the annual Rip the Runway fashion show will be presented this year. For the first time, Syracuse University’s African Student Union will be the lone host for the night. Since 2013, the event was co-hosted with the Haitian American Student Association at SU. The show is at Goldstein Auditorium at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 12 with a theme centered in African folktale and village community.

Senior and program chair for ASU Aminata Sanogo said that models in fashion shows can seem distant and closed off. She’s encouraging the models to express their personalities during their walks.

The featured collections at the show will be have designs from ASU’s own collection, from students and from professionals like Enidiok, she said. The collections will have a mix of streetwear but will also showcase wedding and formal attire, said Sanogo.

Complementing the theme, the show will also have a professional storyteller retelling childhood stories often told in countries like Ghana and Nigeria, said Nneka Akukwe, the president of ASU.

Akukwe, who grew up in both Ghana and Nigeria, said a lot of the featured clothing will be based off of Ankara. This is a method in textile-making in which bright colored threads are fabricated into intricate patterns. The patterns are typically created by placing hot wax on top of the clothing which creates a barrier to stop the dye from penetrating through.

Akukwe said the show pays homage to the many cultures found in a variety of African countries.

“In countries in Africa, the village is typically seen as a communal space. We want all those attending to feel as though they are either ‘back home’ or a part of one community,” Akukwe said in an email.

Sanogo said one of the main purposes for the show is to share the beauty that is found in their own traditions. She said a good amount of students at SU are international or first generation, and the only time they are able to wear this kind of clothing is during weddings or formal family functions.

“We want the opportunity to share this beauty with others.” said Sanogo.

This show will be Enidiok’s third time being featured by ASU. What drives young people to her clothing is that it elevates people to feel like royalty, she said.

“The whole point is not just to look like that for that moment, it’s to aspire to be that for the rest of your life,” Enidiok said.