Volleyball

Yuliia Yastrub’s versatility helps her take on larger role this season

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

Yuliia Yastrub recorded 135 digs last season as a sophomore.

Yuliia Yastrub had never played libero. But in Syracuse’s most important game in program history — the second round of last year’s NCAA tournament against then-No. 8 Penn State — head coach Leonid Yelin put her there.

The move was a testament to her versatility.

“She’s getting touches that you would think she should never get,” junior Dana Gardner said.

After sitting out her freshman year, Yastrub started just seven games in 2018, but the junior stood out because she could play multiple positions. Yelin said Yastrub can play every position except setter; Gardner thinks she could even do that. With Santita Ebangwese no longer on the team, Yastrub is looking to fill her shoes as one of Syracuse’s (0-2) leaders this season. And in two games, she’s already appeared in every set.

“She’s the kind of person who people feel comfortable around,” Yelin said of Yastrub’s leadership heading into her junior season.

Though the Orange lost 3-0 to Penn State last December and were eliminated, Gardner said this was the “highlight-game [to watch] if you want to see how versatile she is.” While most of SU’s players are considered to be specialists, Yastrub is unique because her overall skill set allows her to play almost anywhere on the court.

In 2017, she came over from Nikolaev, Ukraine and spoke English in bulk for one of the first times in her life. The cultural adjustments also coincided with a higher level of play that was new to Yastrub, who played club volleyball back home.

She didn’t play during her freshman year because of NCAA regulations, Yelin said, but last year she took on an increasing role for the team with a two-time first team All-ACC player in Ebangwese leading the way.

“[With Ebangwese gone], everyone has to step up and we’re going to have better results,” Yastrub said.

swissarmy

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

When’s she on the court, Yastrub is energetic and emotional, more than most of her teammates. As a kid, she used to play the violin but stopped because it didn’t fully allow her to express her enthusiasm. Volleyball became her outlet.

That eagerness is something that both Yelin and Gardner have grown to appreciate. Gardner said she “lights up every room she walks into.”

“She gets along with everyone,” Yelin said. “She has a really outgoing personality in a good way.”

When Yastrub finally got her chance in 2018, the then-sophomore played in all but two of Syracuse’s games, finishing fifth on the team in kills (78).

The Orange were in the midst of their best season in program history — 18 wins in the regular season, including a five-set victory against then-No. 22 Louisville, rewarded SU with its first NCAA tournament berth. After a win against Yale, Syracuse faced its region’s host, the Nittany Lions.

To combat PSU’s high-octane offense, Yelin made a move. Yastrub finished with three assists and six digs in the three-set loss in her first action as a libero. Now in her third season at SU, she’ll rely on versatility as she takes on a larger role — wherever on the court that may be.

“You have to try everything in life,” Yastrub said.