Volleyball

Syracuse’s 3-2 loss to Morehead State cements worst start since 2016

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

In 2016, Syracuse started its season 0-5.

After dropping its first two matches of the season in Madison against Baylor and Marquette, Syracuse (0-3) started its second neutral site stint in Kansas with a 3-2 loss against Morehead State (6-2). 

Despite the solid play of sophomore Polina Shemanova, who tallied 24 kills, Syracuse lost its third-straight game of the 2019 season, cementing its worst start since 2016. 

Morehead State, who lost its last match to Kansas in straight sets, started out slow against SU. With the scored knotted at 15, the Orange rattled off 10 unanswered points. A series of MSU attacking errors and stellar attacking play from SU juniors Ella Saada and Yuliia Yastrub allowed the Orange to win the first set, 25-15. 

The second set was played tighter, as neither team led by more than three points. But that’s when Shemanova started to heat up, as her timely kills kept Syracuse in it. But four service errors and several attack miscues crippled the Orange, pushing Morehead State to a 27 -25 point second set win. 

A lack of sharpness hurt the Orange in the third set as well. An Elena Karakasi service error, followed by an attacking error put Syracuse in an early 3-0 hole. But the Orange would come back with great execution from Shemanova, an outside hitter, and setter Karakasi. But late service errors from Yuliia Yastrub and Lauren Woodford would put Morehead State ahead, as the Eagles would win the third set by three points. 

Syracuse would take the fourth set in convincing fashion, as some adjustments from the Syracuse coaching staff would spur the Orange to a 25-13 set win. The fifth and final set was played much like the second set, as neither team was able to pull away in the tie-breaking set.

With the score tied at ten, a service error from Saada gave Morehead State up by 1 point. After a kill from Morehead State’s Mia Swearingen, Shemanova committed an attacking error, providing Morehead State with a three point advantage. The Eagles would eventually win the match with a kill from Olivia Lohmeier. 

The Orange, who posted 16 errors on the night, remain in Lawrence, Kansas to play Arizona (5-2).