Women's Soccer

Syracuse shut out by Dartmouth, 2-0, for first loss of the season

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse mustered just one shot in the first half on Sunday versus Dartmouth.

The Orange entered Sunday’s game having not allowed a goal in 180 minutes of action. That streak ended just nine minutes in, as Dartmouth’s Allie Winstanley fired a shot over Lysianne Proulx from the top right corner of the box. It turned out to be the difference as the Big Green (2-0) defeated Syracuse (2-1) in Hanover, New Hampshire, 2-0.

Syracuse, coming off 33 shots in two games last week, recorded just one in the entire first half compared to Dartmouth’s four. The Orange were more competitive in the second half where they were outshot only five to four. The Big Green managed to find the back of the net once again in the 74th minute when Hayley Soriano scored on a wide open shot off a rebounded save by Proulx.

On Thursday night, all three of Syracuse’s goals came off set pieces, including two from corners, something SU emphasized in its game plan. But on Sunday, the Orange were only able to attempt one corner kick and that opportunity did not come until the 87th minute. 

Three of the Orange’s shots came from Marisa Fischetti, though none were on goal. Laurel Ness and Sydney Brackett fired the only two shots Dartmouth goalie Mariel Gordon needed to save. 

The loss marked the first for Nicky Adams in her head coaching tenure at Syracuse. SU will look to regroup on the road against Auburn (1-1) Thursday at 6:30 p.m. Though last year’s leading scorer Kate Hostage is still sidelined with an injury, Georgia Allen is expected to return to SU from the England 21U team for that matchup.