Volleyball

Syracuse rallies to win final two sets and defeat Clemson 3-2

Ally Walsh | Staff Photographer

Ella Saada had 21 kills in the Orange's come-from-behind win.

After dropping the Atlantic Coast Conference opener against Georgia Tech, Syracuse (4-5, 1-1 ACC) bounced back with a dramatic five-set victory over Clemson. Sophomore Polina Shemanova led the way with 24 kills and 20 digs.

The Orange were sharp in early portions of the first set. A pair of Clemson attack errors and kills from junior Yuliia Yastrub and freshmen Marina Markova put Syracuse up 6-1. Sloppy play from the outside hitters caused several attacking errors and kept Clemson close in the set.

Two crucial kills from Shemanova sealed a first set win with a 25-20 score line. In the second set, Clemson’s star outside hitter Kaylin Korte took over. The redshirt junior’s four kills, combined with Syracuse attacking errors, put the Orange in a hole they couldn’t climb out of in the second set. Clemson secured the second set with a Markova attacking error.

The third set was closer, but Clemson was able to win it with more great play from their outside hitters. Korte recorded another five kills in the third set, but Syracuse stayed close, even grabbing a 23-21 lead at one point. Back-to-back Clemson kills would tie the score, and though the Orange regained the lead at one point, the Tigers finished off the third set with three straight points, putting Syracuse on the brink of back-to-back losses.

The Orange stayed alive with a dominant fourth set. They raced out to a 18-11 lead, as Ella Saada’s two key kills pushed the lead to seven. A kill from Shemanova, and another Clemson attacking error set up a match-deciding fifth set.

The final set was tight throughout. Syracuse took a 15-14 lead late, needing one more point to win the match. But a sloppy service error from Shemanova after a timeout kept Clemson alive. Markova would come through with a vital kill, then a Clemson attacking error gave Syracuse the win.

Following the win in Clemson, The Orange return to Syracuse to play their first home game of the season on Friday against Wake Forest in the Women’s Building.