on campus

SU awarded grant for businesses of service-disabled veterans

Hieu Nguyen | Senior Staff Photographer

The National Veterans Small Business Week is from Nov. 4 to Nov. 8.

The U.S. Small Business Administration awarded Syracuse University’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families $100,000 to support service-disabled veterans in small business ventures.

The grant will go to programs that help service-disabled veterans start new businesses or expand and diversify existing small businesses, according to a U.S. Small Business Administration press release. 

“Syracuse University is a national leader when it comes to advancing the lives of veterans and military families,” said Steve Bulger, SBA regional administrator for operations in New York, in the release.

The SBA distributed a total of $300,000 to organizations across the country for the purpose of supporting service-disabled veterans. Of the four organizations that received grant money, SU received the highest amount of funding. ivmf_grants

Amy Nakamura | Co-Digital Editor

The IVMF received a $100,000 grant from The Leon Levine Foundation and a $250,000 grant from Prudential Financial Inc. in the spring 2019 semester. The Leon Levine Foundation grant funds IVMF’s AmericaServes veterans outreach program, and the Prudential Financial Inc. grant funds research and tools to help strengthen veteran career pathways.

Around 5% of the SU student body has connections to the military, said Mike Haynie, SU’s vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation, at a May press conference. 

“Funding these organizations involved in helping service-disabled veterans establish successful businesses will go a long way toward securing the future for these veterans and their families,” said Chris Pilkerton, SBA acting administrator.