Student Life Column

Students should learn about SU’s legacy

A number of events planned for the year focus on foundational moments in SU’s history.

This school year marks Syracuse University’s 150th anniversary. SU will be hosting a series of events to mark the sesquicentennial, and students should get involved. The anniversary offers a unique opportunity for students to learn about SU’s history and become more engaged in academics.

A number of events planned for the year focus on foundational moments in SU’s history. Bird Library’s 150 Years of Tradition Exhibition will draw from university archives to trace the school’s origins and showcase significant moments since its founding in 1870. Learning about those moments in history places SU students in an important academic legacy they might not otherwise be aware of.

“Milestone anniversaries such as a sesquicentennial are historically significant,” said Meg Mason, a university archivist. “My significant moments are always when I am able to show students photographs and other items from the University Archives that connect them to the university’s past.”

Mason, who curated the University Archives exhibition, said that while coordinating this project she learned that while traditions may change with time, the university’s values have largely stayed the same.

op-orange-alumni-with-maine

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

SU was a pioneer in women’s education, fine arts and veterans’ educational opportunities. This spring, SU will continue that legacy with the opening of the National Veteran Resource Center. Keeping SU’s longstanding priorities like these in mind today gives students a history to stand on as they study. And attending anniversary events lets you participate in that rich, focused history.

“Students who attend those events are taking part in Syracuse University’s history and have a great opportunity to be in this moment in time on campus,” said Mason. “Such events often have a historical component, so it’s also a great way for students to learn about the university’s history.”

Anniversary events aren’t just happening on campus, though. The Office of Alumni Engagement and Syracuse University Alumni Association will be hosting a 150th Engagement Series, a collection of pop up anniversary events for alumni and students spread across the country.

“The first stop of our series will be in Chicago, then Rochester to Los Angeles and Atlanta,” said Cory Miller, the Executive Director of SU’s events and affinity programs. “The pop up events will include receptions and panels that include faculty along with current SU students.”

This national celebration demonstrates the reach of Syracuse and its values. Students can benefit from learning about where those values originated and how they can perpetuate them going forward.

“My hope is that the energy and excitement of the sesquicentennial year will carry forward into the future as we continue to enrich and develop new traditions that will shape for future generations of students what it means to be part of the orange family,” said Mason.

Take this opportunity to learn what the orange family is all about. It’ll be worthwhile.

Maria Sanchez is a sophomore communication, rhetoric studies and political science dual major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected]. She can be followed on Twitter @yunqgem.