Tennis

Jennifer Meredith hired as Syracuse assistant tennis coach

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

The Orange have qualified for the NCAA tournament in back-to-back seasons.

Less than a week after a coaching vacancy opened up on the Syracuse tennis staff, Jennifer Meredith has been hired as an assistant coach, according to an SU Athletics press release Tuesday night. Former associate head coach Shelley George announced her retirement last Thursday after 12 seasons on staff.

“Syracuse has such a rich tradition both academically and athletically,” Meredith said in the press release, “and it’s a privilege to be joining the Syracuse family.”

Meredith spent the past three years as an assistant coach at Missouri and helped the Tigers gradually increase their win total in each of those three years from 11 to 14. In 2016, she oversaw Amina Ismail and Bea Machado Santos’ rise to No. 10 in the Oracle/ITA doubles rankings and the first NCAA tournament doubles berth for the Tigers since 2003.

Prior to her stint in Columbia, Meredith spent two seasons on Connnecticut’s staff and was a private instructor after concluding her playing career at Tennessee.

At SU, Meredith joins a staff looking to fill gaps left by three graduating seniors — Gabriela Knutson, Masha Tritou and Libi Mesh. Head coach Younes Limam has piloted the Orange to three NCAA tournament appearances in four seasons alongside volunteer assistant Len Lopoo and strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks.

According to the press release, Meredith also helped draw some of the first international recruits in the UConn’s history. That aligns with Syracuse’s recruiting trend under Limam. The Orange have only one player on their 2019-20 roster from the United States, compared to eight during the 2012-13 season, previous head coach Luke Jensen’s final full season. And the two freshmen listed on SU’s 2019-2020 roster are from Russia and the Netherlands.

“(Meredith’s) work ethic, eagerness to grow and achieve, and passion for the sport will be an asset to our program,” Limam said in the press release.