Music Column

Here’s a playlist to get you back into the college groove

Kevin Camelo | Co-Digital Designer

Every important life event deserves a soundtrack and returning to college is no different. Here are 10 songs to make the transition from sun-soaked days at the beach to sleep-deprived nights in Bird Library as smooth as possible.  

Car Seat Headrest — “Fill in the Blank”  

This track off of Car Seat Headrest’s album, “Teens of Denial,” evokes a sense of teen angst. Singer-songwriter Will Toledo’s distinct voice delivers lyrics over driving rock guitars and drums that deliver that relatable sentiment with lines like, “It took me a long time to figure out I don’t know what I want.” The result is a cathartic rock song that recognizes the existential struggles of college students.  

Arcade Fire  “Wake Up” 

“Wake Up” delivers a grand reflection on life, death and growing up — all themes that are relevant to the college experience. The first part of the song laments the disillusionment that is often omnipresent during the process of becoming an adult before concluding with an upbeat and self-affirming outro. 

Bren Joy  “Twenties”  

Sometimes, young people simply want to forget about the pressures of the future and feel good about their present selves, and this piece of bouncy piano-pop is the definition of “feel-good” music. With his gorgeous falsetto and silly lyrics, Bren Joy reminds us that “our best life is our twenties.”  

Lucy Dacus  “I Don’t Wanna Be Funny Anymore” 

Wanting to redefine oneself can be a universal part of the college experience. In this song, Lucy Dacus laments her desire to grow and change, despite what other people may think of her efforts: “Try not to laugh I know it’ll be hard I’m serious I know it’s a first but, I don’t wanna be funny anymore.”  

Little Simz  “Boss” 

On the other hand, change can be overrated. On this track off of Little Simz’s phenomenal album, “GREY Area,” the London rapper is loudly and unapologetically herself. By spitting distorted vocals over a grimy bass line, delivering a triumphant and relatable hook she said, “I don’t need that stress, that stress, I’m a boss in a f*cking dress.”  

music-column-gif_1

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Eddie Vedder  “Rise”  

“Rise” is a short acoustic song recorded by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder for the “Into the Wild” soundtrack. It just so happens that ideas the song so perfectly captures for the film also apply to returning to school, as Vedder sings about learning to find your own way and “turning mistakes into gold.”  

Kero Kero Bonito  “Waking Up”  

On “Waking Up,” another opening track off a college-themed album, British J-Pop group Kero Kero Bonito addresses that ever-so-difficult part of every college students’ day over a hard-hitting hip-hop-inspired beat. While smoothly weaving together Japanese and English lyrics, singer Sarah Midori Perry recognizes the dilemma faced by all of us, “Waking up is the hardest part, but then it’s essential.”  

A$AP Ferg feat. MadeinTYO — “WAM” 

This recent banger of a single from Juice Jam alum A$AP Ferg is a simple, infectious track that doesn’t reference anything related to college – making it a perfect song for students who want to kick back with friends and forget about impending exams and papers.  

Lizzo  “Soulmate” 

Even within the track listing of Cuz I Love You, an album oozing with personality and positivity, Lizzo’s “Soulmate” stands out as a powerful expression of self-love. It’s sure to resonate with everyone. The singer, rapper and flautist belts out a triumphant chorus, proclaiming: “Yeah, I’m my own soulmate, I know how to love me, I know that I’m always gonna hold me down.”  

SZA  “20 Something” 

Upperclassmen may remember when SZA performed “20 Something” to close out her set at Block Party in 2018. In an intimate moment, she sang about being lost and confused in her 20-somethings to scores of students that same age, creating a palpably emotional atmosphere. Whether or not you were lucky enough to witness this performance live, the warmth and comfort felt from hearing SZA croon “God bless you 20 somethings” remains just as powerful.