Liberal Column

Every liberal should go to a shooting range

To be a good faith gun control advocate, you need to be educated about firearms, even if you don’t like them.

To successfully debate, inform and discuss gun policy reform, there needs to be understanding. You must be able to realize the perspective of the other side of the argument.

I first visited a shooting range when I was 15 years old. I come from a liberal family, but one that often goes duck hunting. By visiting a shooting range and becoming familiar with firearms — how they work and how they’re regulated — people can begin to understand why gun rights advocates hold such strong beliefs. They can also better realize the sheer violent power of firearms.

“I do think in terms of how guns work, and why people feel they need to own guns, what people use them for,” said Shana Gadarian, Associate Professor of political science at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. “The empathy is really important in these conversations.”

big-number-43

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Posters hanging at the range displayed phrases like “Keep weapons pointed downrange at the donkey” — at the Democratic party logo. I met firearms enthusiasts who owned dozens of weapons each, and I learned the true strength of a firearm.

It was fun, but that experience taught me that guns are not like the toys I played with as a boy, but weapons of destruction, violence and death.

I learned, first hand, why gun legislation reform is necessary. I can relate to these gun rights activists that disagree with me now. I can see them as people, not just as political opponents.

Experiences like this one, however, are just a piece of the puzzle that is good faith gun reform advocacy. Gadarian said building empathy for other people’s perspectives is important for issues like gun control.

stricter-legislation

There is common ground between the left and right on this issue. The problem is cracking our stubborn outer shells. Many liberals start the debate at a disadvantage.

Grant Reeher, a professor of political science in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs said it’s important to understand the details of major issues to form an opinion.

“There’s a lot of gun control advocates that don’t like what they see when it comes to gun violence,” said Reeher. “They don’t particularly like guns. They wish guns didn’t exist. And so they’re not going to learn very much about guns.”

In a time when mass shootings are heavily reported, it is important to be informed and prepared. College students, like those at Syracuse University, are usually some of the most politically active people — and they should be the most informed. First-hand experience gives you the chance to learn, and the knowledge to successfully debate. And on top of that, you might just have some fun.

Nick Robertson is a freshman news and online journalism and policy studies major. His column appears bi-weekly. He can be reached at [email protected]. He can be followed on Twitter at @NickRobertsonSU.