on campus

Syracuse University counseling, health services open at The Arch

Courtesy of SU

A conceptual rendering of the Barnes Center at the Arch.

Syracuse University’s counseling and health services opened Monday at their new location in the Barnes Center at the Arch.

Students can now make an appointment or walk-in visits at the Arch, SU announced Monday. SU’s Counseling Center and Health Services staff moved to the new health and wellness complex during the summer as part of the $50 million transformation of Archbold Gymnasium.

SU’s pharmacy and health promotion offices are also open at The Arch. The health and wellness portion of the building is mostly completed while construction continues on the recreation services portion. Pete Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, said in a campus wide email sent Friday that the complex is scheduled to be completed for the fall semester. The Arch will feature a multi-floor fitness center, rock climbing wall and “multi-activity sports court.”

Health Services and the Counseling Center were previously located on Waverly and Walnut Avenues, respectively. The move places SU’s health and counseling services together in a more central location on Main Campus.

New curbing is currently being installed along Sims Drive in the area of The Arch and Flanagan Gym, Sala said. Projects along the building’s perimeter, including sidewalks, landscape pavers and site lighting, are expected to be completed in the upcoming weeks. As recreation services move into The Arch, fitness equipment will remain available for use in the Women’s Building until late August.

Summer hours for counseling and services, including the pharmacy, are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Crisis services and the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team are available 24 hours a day. A licensed medical provider is also available for after-hours medical consultation.