Graduation Guide 2019

Syracuse restaurants prepare for commencement weekend

Gabe Stern | Asst. News Editor

For Friday and Saturday of commencement, Pastabilities accepted some large party reservations, something the restaurant does not usually do.

Several Syracuse restaurants are increasing their scheduled staff, planning specials and stocking up on food and supplies in preparation for Syracuse University’s 2019 commencement ceremony.

05_05_19_restaurants_gabestern_36

Gabe Stern | Asst. News Editor

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is operating on “high level” in preparation for SU’s graduation weekend, said Jason Ryan, the marketing director of the chain’s Syracuse location.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is making sure the restaurant is cooking food in advance and has more staff working, said Jason Ryan, the marketing director of the chain’s Syracuse location.

“Because our food takes so long to smoke and get ready, when we run out, we run out,” Ryan said.

Data also help the restaurant anticipate how much food will need to be made. Susi Stein, the managing partner at the Syracuse location, said the restaurant uses data that show how much food was made at the same time the previous year, within two-hour increments.

“Anytime we have big events like graduation, we can look back and see how much food we sold on that day,” Stein said.

Stein said dinner is usually the restaurant’s peak time during graduation weekend, with people coming straight from the graduation ceremony to get a table. There’s usually a two-hour wait the Saturday of graduation, she said.

Ryan said the restaurant hopes the weather will be nice so people can have a drink or sit outside.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is holding a Mother’s Day buffet the same weekend as commencement on May 12. The Mother’s Day event was reservation-only last year, but the restaurant’s ground floor accepts walk-ins.

“We’ve got 31 years of experience, so we’ve kind of got it down to a science for the most part,” Stein said.

The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Friday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.; and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

05_05_19_restaurants_gabestern_40

Gabe Stern | Asst. News Editor

Empire Brewing Company started receiving calls for reservations in January.

Empire Brewing Company

Empire Brewing Company’s bar manager, Kyle Schirtz, said the brewpub is preparing for graduation weekend by stocking up supplies and keeping extra staff on.

“Pretty much no one can take that weekend off,” he said.

The restaurant features locally-sourced food and beers from more than 60 central New York farmers. It started receiving calls for reservations in January and finished booking reservations about a month ago, he said. Peak time for the restaurant, located in Armory Square, is around late Saturday afternoon when the commencement ceremonies end, Schirtz said.

The kitchen is open Monday and Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Wednesday and Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.; and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. The bar closes depending on how busy Empire Brewing Company is for the night.

Pastabilities

Pastabilities, located in Armory Square, doesn’t usually take reservations. For Friday and Saturday of commencement, however, the restaurant accepted some large party reservations.

“We don’t book the entire restaurant, so we don’t confuse people that know us for not taking reservations,” said Gabriel Angelone, the manager of Pastabilities.

Pastabilities started taking reservations in the beginning of January and was fully booked by March. The restaurant receives calls for graduation up to a year in advance, Angelone said. Angelone said he makes sure the staff is prepared for the weekend, in addition to taking reservations.

“We’re kind of fully staffed that weekend regardless if it was graduation or not,” Angelone said. “We’re just staying on our toes, making sure we’re doing our best.”

Angelone said the wait time for a table can reach two to three hours on graduation weekend. In preparation for the long waits, the restaurant tries to keep customers happy with drink and food specials. Pastabilities will also call customers when their table is ready, allowing them to leave and explore downtown Syracuse while they wait.

Pastabilities is open Monday through Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for lunch. And Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday through Sunday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. for dinner.

05_05_19_restaurants_gabestern_46

Gabe Stern | Asst. News Editor

General manager Trey Alvarez said Modern Malt is scheduling extra staff for commencement weekend.

Modern Malt

Modern Malt is a diner located in the Armory Square that blends American-style diner food with modern elements. General manager Trey Alvarez said the restaurant is preparing for graduation by scheduling extra staff for weekend shifts.

“Any time we have a busy week or weekend coming up, we’re always keeping extra people on,” Alvarez said.

He said Modern Malt doesn’t take reservations. The restaurant is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Saturday; and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday.