From the Stage

SU Drama announces 2019-20 season

SU Drama announced its 2019-20 season lineup. Featured shows will include "Romeo and Juliet," "Disney's Beauty and the Beast," and "On the Lake."

Syracuse University’s Department of Drama has announced its six-show lineup for the 2019-20 season.

Included in the lineup are shows, “A Chorus Line,” “The Crucible,” “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast,” Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” “A Grand Night for Singing” and “On the Lake.”

Kicking off the season on Oct. 4 is “A Chorus Line,” a musical about dancers who audition for a Broadway show. The show was originally directed by Michael Bennett in 1975, and Syracuse Stage’s Brian Marcum will direct and choreograph this iteration alongside the musical direction of Brian Cimmet.

Also coming to the lineup is “The Crucible,” written in 1953 by playwright Arthur Miller. Directing the show will be theater veteran Gerardine Clark, who has worked in the industry for more than 30 years and has previously directed an adaptation of Kenneth Grahame’s “The Wind in the Willows,” produced by the New Victory Theatre. The show is set to open Nov. 8.

The tale as old as time will be retold from Nov. 22 to Jan. 5. “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast” will be directed by Donna Drake who previously directed twice for Syracuse Stage — most recently “Elf the Musical” last November. The show will include choreography by SU musical theater professor Anthony Salatino and flying effects by company ZFX. The show, in partnership with Syracuse Stage, will have a cast made up by both professionals and SU drama students.

“The unique partnership between the Department of Drama and Syracuse Stage — and the myriad ways it benefits not only our students but also Syracuse theater-goers and their families — is nowhere more evident than in the annual holiday co-production,” SU Drama’s department chair Ralph Zito said in the announcement.

One of Shakespeare’s most popular plays will grace the stage once again. “Romeo and Juliet” will open fittingly on Valentine’s Day and will be directed by SU Drama’s Thom Miller. The classic tragedy written by William Shakespeare is about two star-crossed lovers in Verona, Italy.

For a night filled with some of the most famous Broadway show tunes, “A Grand Night for Singing” — originally curated by Walter Bobbie 1993 —  is a musical review of more than 30 songs from theatrical duo Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II. Song are from shows such as “Oklahoma!,” “South Pacific” and “The Sound of Music.” The night will also include the duo’s lesser known shows like “Flower Drum Song” andPipe Dream,” among others. The show will open March 27.

Capping off the season will be “On the Lake,” an adaptation of Anton Chekhov’s modern classic, “The Seagull,” running from May 1-9. Original playwright Reza de Wet was a South African writer, director and actor who won numerous awards for her work — including the Vita Award for Best Script for her work “Yelena.” The show, directed by Stephen Cross, will look closer on the “Constantine’s symbolist play-within-the-play,” per the announcement.

The season runs from Oct. 4 to May 9, 2020 and will be another season of “entertaining, thought-provoking and moving theatrical experiences,” Zito said.