Moderate Column

Stay involved with SU after you graduate

For students, alumni network connections can bring job or internship opportunities.

As the class of 2019 makes the transition from students to alumni, their connections to the university and its younger students are as important as ever. They will become part of the ever-growing Orange Network, which is already about 200,000 alumni strong.

Becoming part of the SU alumni network means access to planned trips with other alumni, career services and workshops sponsored by the Alumni Association and even some different types of insurance.

While these assets are important, the relationship past and current students forge is even more valuable. On both ends, networking is increasingly important in job-hunting.

orange-network-jpg-alumni

Amy Nakamura | Co-Digital Editor

For students, alumni network connections can bring job or internship opportunities. For alumni, it can help them share their own experiences with younger generations and fill open positions at their places of work with others from their alma mater.

Jenna Collins, SU’s associate director of alumni professional development and outreach, values this reciprocal communication.

“Often these relationships lead to more career opportunities, mentorships and larger networks for both students and alumni,” Collins said. “No matter what, I think both groups can learn from one another if they stay connected.”

Keeping in touch with students also allows alumni to stay up-to-date with events happening on campus and possibly put themselves in the position to contribute to them, either as guest speakers, volunteers or attendees. Alumni frequently attend career fairs, convocations, job interview workshops and other events on campus.

Staying engaged with SU creates the opportunity for feedback that could help them reflect and better prepare current students for the job market. A strong alumni presence strengthens SU and benefits all members of the orange community. Stay involved.

Lauren Spiezia is a freshman newspaper and online journalism major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected]