Graduation Guide 2019

Religious organizations hosting events to honor graduating seniors

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

As Commencement weekend approaches, many graduating seniors involved in religious organizations on campus are preparing to say goodbye to their communities of faith and friendship at Syracuse University. 

Several religious organizations have scheduled events for SU’s 2019 Commencement. These events both honor faith traditions and celebrate the achievements of graduates. 

The Catholic Association will hold a Baccalaureate Mass at the Catholic Center at 2:30 p.m. on May 12. Father Gerry Waterman, the Roman Catholic chaplain at SU, said the Catholic Association’s Baccalaureate Mass is at tradition that has existed for at least 50 years at SU. 

“It is our final way of saying thank you for all of your service and your participation,” Waterman said. “And you go away with our prayers and our care.”  

Eoin Rapp, a student at SUNY-ESF and the president of the Catholic Association, described the Baccalaureate Mass for graduating seniors and their families as a “rather quiet mass” with “a very personal group of people.” 

Many students said they found friendship and support through religious organizations. Cary Lam, a graduating senior involved with the Catholic Association, came to SU as a transfer student. He said he joined the Catholic Association as a way to find friends and fit in, as well as to continue pursuing his faith.  

The Baptist Campus Ministry will hold a gathering for graduates and their families immediately following the commencement ceremony.   

pulp_a2

Kevin Camelo | Web Developer

Spencer Gafa, a senior and the president of Christian Outreach, a student-run campus group connected to the Baptist Campus Ministry, said that leading the organization was one of his favorite experiences at SU. Although he will be graduating, he is excited to see Christian Outreach continue to grow as new students join.  

“I’m really excited for the future of Christian Outreach because there’s a lot of people who have gotten involved really quickly,” Gafa said.   

Members of Lutheran Campus Ministry will gather in the Small Chapel in Hendricks Chapel immediately after the commencement ceremony for a graduation service. The Rev. Gail Riina, the chaplain of the Lutheran Campus Ministry at SU, said that it will be a service of a thanksgiving as well as a send-off.  

Hillel Jewish Student Union is hosting a senior class brunch on Friday at 11 a.m. at the Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life and will include a champagne toast. Reservations for the annual brunch should be made no later than May 8, according to a Facebook post. Hillel also offered a senior Shabbat on May 3 at the center.  

Noah Steinberg, the president of the Student Buddhist Association, decided to get involved with the organization at the beginning of his freshman year. His father, a meditation teacher, encouraged him to continue mediation in college. By leading the association, Steinberg said it has kept him on track with his practice along with an opportunity to meet and connect with other students. 

“Just being able to meet so many people has really left an impression on me,” Steinberg said. “We’re able to meet and interface and have really introspective experiences.” 

The Student Buddhist Association is not hosting a separate graduation event. 

The Muslim Student Association is holding an event at sundown on the quad on May 8. Hassina Adams, president of MSA, said she relied on MSA to help her make friends and acclimate to SU. She adds that MSA serves as a group that offered her support and guidance. 

“There are times that you feel isolated because of a lot of things that happen in the media,” Adams said. “Having these people that you can turn to when you feel that way helps you not to feel as if you are on your own.” 

MSA will honor its graduating members at the sundown event.  

“We try to recognize our seniors and wish them well on their journey after graduating,” she said. 

Students of various faith traditions have found friendship and support in religious communities on campus. As graduating seniors prepare to leave SU, many will meet with these communities to celebrate their accomplishments alongside their faith.