Graduation Guide 2019

5 Instagram-worthy grad photo spots that aren’t on campus

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

Here are some places outside of Syracuse University to take graduation pictures.

Some students at Syracuse University take their graduation pictures in front of the Hall of Languages and on the Carrier Dome field, but if you’re looking to switch things up here are places in Syracuse that may be more low-key but are just as aesthetically pleasing.  

Thornden Park 

05_05_19_gradpicsspots_coreyhenry_sp_33

Thorndon Park which is located next to SU’s campus has a lot of greenery and a rose garden with over 3,000 rose bushes. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Thornden Park, located adjacent to SU, has become a favorite wedding location in the Syracuse park system and the perfect spot to take photos, according to the City of SyracuseThis large community green space includes the E.M. Mills Memorial Rose Garden, a space filled with more than 3,000 rose bushes of countless varieties that bloom during the summer and surround a small gazebo. At this time of year, the roses haven’t bloomed yet, but the garden is a vibrant green with vines that rest upon the many arches found along the paths. There is also a lily pond located across from the rose garden and at the top of brick staircase, which also leads to small waterfall and another garden. 

Elmwood Park 

billman-elizabeth-gradguidesites-050119-4

Elmwood Park is about a 15 minute drive from SU and has a long creek that goes through the park. Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

One of the city of Syracuse’s green spaces is Elmwood Park, located at the heart of Syracuse’s Southside, about a 15 minute drive from SU. The extensive creek that snakes through the length of the park has little falls and rapids that flow beneath a cobblestone bridge. The rugged landform decorated with rustic stone stairs and walls creates a natural, forested backdrop for photos. 

Onondaga Lake Park 

05_05_19_gradpicsspots_coreyhenry_sp_05-1

Onondaga Lake Park is a 7.5 mile park in Liverpool that surrounds Onondaga Lake. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Onondaga Lake Park, also known as “The Central Park of central New York,” is a 7.5 mile greenway that serves as a local favorite for walks by the water, picnics and Instagram-worthy pictures. This park’s main feature is Onondaga Lake, where people like to walk and sit on benches situated along its edge. 

Clinton Square 

05_05_19_gradpicsspots_coreyhenry_sp_12

In the heart of downtown Syracuse is Clinton Square, which is marked by a fountain and statues. It is also home to a lot of unique architecture. Corey Henry| Photo Editor

Clinton Square is the hub of downtown Syracuse, where an ice rink is featured during the winter along with many farmers markets and cultural fests in the warmer months. This area has served as a gathering place for people for many years and continues to do so with its water fountain shooting jets into the sunlight and statues reflecting the open scenery. Clinton Square is a photo spot for capturing Syracuse’s features and the excitement that graduation brings. 

Niagara Mohawk Building 

05_05_19_gradpicsspots_coreyhenry_sp_16

The Niagara Mohawk Building sits in downtown Syracuse and exemplifies Art Deco architectural styles. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

This building encapsulates the historical architecture of Syracuse with its bold Art Deco style and historical, yet modern, touches. Graduates will be taken into the past with photos taken in front of the metallic and cement layered pillars that work to capture the architectural style of such landmarks as the Chrysler Building and Rockefeller Center in Manhattan.