From the Stage

‘The Humans’ to premiere at Syracuse Stage this week

Hieu Nguyen | Senior Staff Photographer

“The Humans” opens at Syracuse Stage on Wednesday. The comedy is a one-act play set in a Manhattan apartment during Thanksgiving.

UPDATED: April 24, 2019 at 6:44 p.m.

Gathered at a table for Thanksgiving dinner, families will delve into deeper topics besides complimenting the butteriness of mashed potatoes in Syracuse Stage’s upcoming play, “The Humans.”

The show, a one-act play about a realistic family portrayed during a confrontational holiday, is co-produced by Geva Theatre Center, and originally written by Stephen Karam. It premieres Wednesday at Syracuse Stage.

Erik and Deirdre Blake of Scranton, Pennsylvania, travel to Chinatown in Manhattan to spend Thanksgiving with their daughters Aimee and Brigid. The Blakes are joined by Brigid’s boyfriend Richard and Erik’s mother Fiona — commonly known as “Momo” — who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. Centered around Thanksgiving dinner, conversations arise that result in disagreements and playful banter.

Director Mark Cuddy described how unique the play is as being told in real time — meaning there are no scene changes or leaps in time that occur within its 96-minute run.

042319_humanspreview_hieunguyen_ssp-4

“The Humans” is directed by Mark Cuddy and co-produced with Geva Theatre Center. Hieu Nguyen | Senior Staff Photographer

“It takes precision for the actors to learn, and for me to decide what lines should be heard by the audience and what lines can be played under volume,” Cuddy said.

While Cuddy said the style is challenging for both the actors and director alike, Cuddy justified the method by saying that it also comes with its own advantages.

“I love this aspect, as it means the actors could rehearse the play ‘as real people’ instead of performing it,” he said. “My job in directing (it) was always to ask the actors ‘what would a human do?’”

Every year, Cuddy said, Syracuse Stage and Geva Theatre Center co-produce at least one show, but this year they are doing two — both “The Humans” and “Native Gardens.” Cuddy, along with Syracuse Stage artistic director Bob Hupp, planned the production of these shows for more than a year in advance. Cuddy said co-producing a show between two theaters ensures its efficiency and allows for both the cast and crew to have a longer contract.

the-humans

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

Toni DiBuono, who plays Deirdre Blake, said she prepared for her role by inspecting what characteristics she shares with her character. At first, there were numerous aspects of Deirdre she said she didn’t relate to. But as time went on, DiBuono realized there were more commonalities between her and her character than she initially believed.

“I worried that I wouldn’t find a lot in common with Deidre Blake, but through the rehearsal process and falling in love with every member of this cast, I found myself deeply connected to her,” DiBuono said. “She tries not to let life get the best of her and there is an optimism that keeps her moving forward.”

In the theater industry, it is difficult for older actors to find roles that are rich with charisma and passion, DiBuono said, and added she has gratitude for coming across a character full of these traits.

Madeleine Lambert, who plays Aimee Blake, also found commonalities with her respective role by thoroughly researching ulcerative colitis, a chronic bowel disease that her character is dealing with while also going through a breakup. It was important to her, Lambert said, to accurately portray a person suffering with this disease.

The resilience of the physical and emotion turmoil Lambert’s character faces is admirable, Lambert said. She learned from Aimee the importance of not letting hardships weigh you down.

“She’s been dealt some difficult cards,” Lambert said, “and I admire anyone who can look at those cards and say, ‘Hm. Here’s what I’ve been dealt. Now what?’”

The title of the play alludes to the themes of the production — with aging, illness and family at the forefront. Sitting in the audience, Lambert said viewers will find themselves connecting the production to its relevance in their own life.

“I mean, who hasn’t experienced a chaotic holiday gathering?” Lambert said.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Erik Blake’s name was misspelled. Also, Momo was incorrectly identified as Richard’s mother. She is Erik’s mother. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.