Student Life

Prioritizing events for Autism Awareness Month can help students become better advocates

April is National Autism Awareness Month.

April is National Autism Awareness Month, and there are a small number of Syracuse events calling attention to it. While the number of events should theoretically be bigger, there’s still a lot organizations on campus that can do to better the few events we do have.

While autism awareness efforts on and around campus might not be widespread, the events that are happening are powerful. They demonstrate how engaging with topics like autism can empower us to create long-lasting change.

Last April, students from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, the College of Arts and Sciences and the Lawrence B. Taishoff Center for Inclusive Higher Education created a panel discussion called “Deconstructing Autism Awareness,” regarding the meaning of autism awareness and how that may differ from acceptance.

The Syracuse University Fit Families Program, a research-based physical activity program, now offers initiatives for young children with autism that focuses on providing exceptional opportunities to visually impaired children and their parents. People involved in the program attend theme-specific workshops addressing topics like physical activity, motor development, aquatics and sports.

op1

Susie Teuscher | Digital Design Editor

“The Fit Families Program is ultimately about giving hope and confidence,” said Luis Columna, associate professor of exercise science in the School of Education. “This new edition of the program for children with autism works under the same premise.”

These events and programs provide great opportunities for people who participate, but more can be done to engage a wider audience of SU students in these discussions.

Tabling events at the Schine Student Center, similar to ones during Frisky February, can be a chance for students to explore organizations and programs like SU Fit Families in a fun way.

Other related organizations could also get involved. The Beyond Compliance Coordinating Committee, for example, is a group of disabled and nondisabled students who work to make SU more welcoming for people with disabilities by pushing “beyond compliance” measures.

Student organizations could even consider creating a walk that’s open to students and community members to honor their loved ones or donate to charity or research.

Students should all pledge to go blue to increase global understanding and acceptance of people with autism, but we can do more to celebrate and amplify their unique talents. Providing more opportunities to learn about and champion individuals with autism during National Autism Awareness Month strengthens the community around the cause and makes our efforts more long-lasting.

Maria Sanchez is a sophomore communication, rhetoric studies and political science dual major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].