ducks

Duck: Lauren Miller

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Digital Section: You have seen the many phases of Lauren Miller (may some of them live and die in that blue room). Thanks for listening to my rants into the oblivion and never really shutting them down. I’ve really enjoyed the number of hours I spent with you all. Thank you even, to the god forsaken, wooden chairs for giving me somewhere to edit and a hunchback, probably.

My mom’s Facebook friends: Thanks for being the only people who actually watch/read my content. Lol.

Sportz Boiz: Sorry for always accidentally swearing during your podcast (it made it much more interesting though so).

Anna: It has been a pleasure to work with you this semester. I’m excited to see who you bring onto video and how you change it for the better. You’re going to do big things dude, big things.

KJ: Thanks for putting me up for a night. You’re a pretty damn great writer and partner in crime to have for 18 hours of driving. I’m excited to see how you make sports your own. I know you will be phenomenal.

Andy: I know I can always look to you to laugh at my jokes (even when they are mean). You are just FUN. I’m so glad I got to know you through the DO and Theta (lol). I can’t wait to dance to Mamma Mia one last time together and see how you THRIVE in NYC next year.

Gabe: The night at Chevy’s, that’s all. Well, the entirety of Awkwasane really. Also, I love you. Please take care of yourself next semester and keep pursuing the truth- the world needs more people like you.

Hattie: I love you. I love that our lives are intertwining again and that we get 2 more years together. Fear not, even though we won’t be in house anymore, I will still attack you with love whenever I see you- sorry not sorry.

All my photo people: You guys have so quickly become so important to me. You truly have become a second family (both those in and out of the DO). You are all so talented and are going to actually go out and help the world! You make me want to be better, not just in my work but as a human being. While the community will look very different next year, I feel so lucky that I at least got this semester with you all. Thank you to everyone who has at some point looked at my work, given me feedback, listened to my frustrations and has pushed me to go beyond. Thank you even more so to everyone who has taken the time to sit around with me, talk and just be. Long live attic antics.

Emma Rothman: You are the best roommate I ever could have asked for. You force me to see things for how they really are and to actually take care of myself. Thanks for always understanding when I couldn’t be home and listening to me through whatever mood I was in. Sorry I’m so messy. I know we’ve had a year, but damn I’m grateful you were the one by my side through it. I have so much respect, admiration and love for you. NEVER change.

Friends: Lucky I got such a POWERFUL group around me. Your passion for what you do makes me have more passion for what I do. Thanks for understanding when I was swamped and loving me through it. We’ve already had some good times and we’re just getting started. 866 here we come baby.

Mackenzie: I am SO glad that you were the one I got to work in house for two semesters with. I am so impressed by by you and your ability to somehow seamlessly get everything done. You are one of the most driven people I have ever met. I have so enjoyed singing Mamma Mia (and whatever other god-awful remix Andy subjects us to) with you, working on assignments with you and being on the small but mighty video team with you. I’m so proud of all you have done here and all I have been able to do with you. I will always be here to backing your Midwestern v East Coast fights because Midwest over ERRYTHANG. Long live deep dish and feminist rants.

Rori: You are an extremely passionate and caring person. You are the definition of above and beyond. Watching you give all that to something you so deeply loved, the DO, had a profound impact on me. You both fostered and encouraged my passion, while also challenging me to do better, to spend more time and to dig deeper. Even for the nights I wanted to be anywhere but 744 Ostrom, I realize how important it was for me to be there not only doing it, but doing it right. You gave me that. Thank you.

My brothers: I am here to say that all those years ago on July 17, 2000 when I was sad that I got another brother, I was wrong. I learned how to be tough and stand on my own because of you both. We’ve been through the wringer, but we’re doing it. We’re living and going for our dreams and I am so proud of us. I know the best is yet to come. I love you both.

Mom: You are unequivocally, a badass. All I have, am and hope to be is because of you. You taught me not only how to dream by always telling me, “why not you,” but to also go do something about it. Even when my dreams are distant, even when it seems impossible, you are my support. You are my rock and inspiration. I love you. Here’s to this good life.

744: You took a lot of my time and energy this year, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I have grown so much as a journalist and person while being here. Thank you, everyone.