Tyus Battle named to All-ACC Third Team

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Tyus Battle smiles after Syracuse's biggest win of the season, a victory over then-No. 1 Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Tyus Battle was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Third Team on Monday afternoon. The awards were announced by the ACC as teams prepare to get the conference tournament underway.

Syracuse (19-12, 10-8 ACC) is led in scoring by Battle for the second-straight season. The junior guard is averaging 17.2 points per game and shooting 43.2 percent from the field.

Battle’s had an up-and-down ACC slate just as SU did. But when he’s gotten going, he’s been one of the best offensive players in the conference. He dropped 32 points in an upset at then-No. 1 Duke. A “Herculean” second-half effort at Boston College saw him finish with 31 points and a narrow Orange victory. Battle scored 23 points in the second half at North Carolina in a losing effort, as well.

Last spring, Battle tested the NBA Draft waters and chose to return to SU. He has one more year of eligibility remaining after this season and was noncommittal when asked about his future following Syracuse’s final home game.

“I don’t know what’s gonna go on until the end of the season, but I also thought that last year,” Battle said on March 4. “So I’m here this year, and I’m enjoying every game in an Orange uniform.”

The Orange begin ACC Tournament play on Wednesday night against the winner of Tuesday’s game between Boston College and Pittsburgh.